Are you monogamous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An interesting phenomenon shows through in this thread; the 'I dive with my spouse or I don't dive' mentality. Nothing odd about preferring to dive with a specific buddy, spouse or otherwise, and spouses often like to spend time together bonding, sharing the experience and such. But 'I wouldn't dive without my spouse?' When we're talking about a recreational activity richly enjoyed...

There are lots of activities that my husband and I have enjoyed separately. He was an avid skydiver when he was younger and I would never ever consider jumping out of an airplane. (Okay, if the plane was about to crash I MIGHT agree to do a tandem dive!)

But scuba diving was something we decided to try in order to spend time together doing something special that we could both enjoy. We work long hours and it is hard to find time to spend together but this was something that gave us a great reason to travel and share interesting experiences.

We both love animals and the ocean but it was more difficult for me, although I was willing to try. My husband was on the swim team in high school but I had to take an "adult learn to swim class" before I could learn to dive. The first class was called "introduction to water" (I'm not kidding!)

I wasn't afraid of the water but I had never had a chance to learn to swim, but he encouraged me as I learned and then we both did our scuba classes and certification dives together. We did our scuba classes at the YMCA pool during a freezing Midwest winter and it wasn't all that much fun, but we wanted to take a checkout dive trip in the Spring.

At first it was just coincidence that we did our dives together, obviously we were natural partners, but later it became clear that we were very comfortable and happy diving together and would not enjoy it as much if one of us was sitting topside while the other was exploring the reef, and so we decided that we were permanent buddies and we would dive together or we wouldn't dive.

It probably isn't for everybody but it has worked well for us.

Last edited:
Rhone Man:

I can understand not wanting to do more difficult dives under adverse conditions with an instabuddy; if you've on Bonaire, and you're read about diving the east coast, maybe the Cai site, and you're going to try it without benefit of a guide, then yes, a seasoned buddy pair who know each other well can be a safety asset.

But a typical 45-50 minute professionally guided Caribbean vacation dive to modest depth in tropical aquarium-like conditions? Some of these divers are quite seasoned.

Richard.

Can't get my wife to dive at all. My son is my regular buddy, probably 75% of my dives have been with him, but that is slipping every day as he works shifts and is not on the same schedule. I have lots of diving friends I can buddy with.

My wife has severe asthma. She cannot dive. I am relegated to diving with a unknown buddy. Though I have been on a couple of group trips and had the same buddy for a whole week. That has always worked out okay for me.

I'm pan-sexual polyamorous. I'll dive with just about anybody who is somewhat competent and can keep their fins out of the silt. I also dive solo pretty frequently, or same ocean whenever I get paired with a photographer.

Having said that, I have a new female dive buddy who is also single, without kids, and got the bug really bad; We've been diving together a lot more lately.

Last edited:
My wife doesn't dive (though were certified together, she doesn't like diving). And for that I am glad. It is our time away from each other. I have a decent sized pool of people I will dive with, so I never have an issue.

"Poly-Sub-Amorous" :yeahbaby:

You win the internet today!! :D

While I will dive with anyone I guess that makes me bi-polygamist or is it Poly-Sub-Amorous. My Wife dosnt dive so I am stuck either solo or diving with friends or family.

However last weekend after surfacing with my friends wife she started bragging about my 7' LONG HOSE and how much she liked my hose in her mouth one of the shop owners said that PADI didnt offer a swingers certification. I think I will have to write it up as a distinctive specialty.

Apparently im a pan sexual polyamourous international slut.
LOL!! You took the words right out of my mouth. :D

(earlier in this thread, I felt restricted from truly expressing myself) heehee

Last edited:
i am poly-dive-amorous. As an instructor and the founder of a dive club there is a cadre of people i know and will dive with because they know what they are doing. I have fairly high standards of who i dive with for fun.
I avoid nameless anonymous promiscuous dive partners.

i used to dive often with a friend and her husband. He suffered a major heart attack a ways back so she and i continue to dive. She's become my "dive wife" and actually went thru her DM class with me last year.

So if y'all looking for a tall, athletic male dive buddy just PM me. I dive for booze.
:cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom