• None of your darned business

Votes: 41 10.9%
  • Guess, you might just make my day

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • Shhh...Big Brother is watching!

Votes: 43 11.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My father was first generation American born in 1913 of Swedish immigrant parents. The farmer up the hill was an Italian immigrant.

They both were from a different age, one that perhaps we could use more of.

:popcorn:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

I may have an unfair advantage, I'm a retired cop.

To quote Mark Twain: "An armed society is a polite society."

One does tend to treat a person with that little extra touch of respect when they know that person is armed. Mr Clemens had a way with words.

:popcorn:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

:shakehead: Another very smart American.

What would Lincoln or Twain say about America today, where citizens attempting to express their disagreement with their elected leaders are publicly labeled as "Racists", "terrorists like Timothy McViegh", "Klu Klux Klansmen", or worse by those same leaders, and a willing media does not scream "foul!", and jump to defend the very same First Amendment the media is so quick to use in it's own defense?
Quite a few of our founders and early leaders wouldn't believe the changes that Americans have allowed, and even willingly accepted.
"Rights are only rights as long as man and women are willing to fight and risk their lives and liberties to defend those rights." ? unsure origin of this one.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, another very deep thinker who had a way with words.

Last edited:
So how is the poll coming Jim? Are the results what you expected?

Judging form the results so far I would not want to get this crowd angry.

What does surprise me is the totals. Normally given a multiple choice poll you will get greater than a 100% return, while all the votes so far, together only reach 73%. THAT I find a bit odd

I figured with the cross section of people attracted to diving I would have found more anti personal defense sentiment on this board. No's of both type only total @6%.

My choice of wording may not have attracted them, or maybe this crowd is just a lot more universally oriented toward the ideas of personal liberty and responsibility, than I was expecting.

You don't need a firearm or knife to be armed. Any bic pen or sharpened number 2 pencil will do nicely.

Actually, any pen or pencil will do nicely.
Sharper is better but human skin is very easily punctured.

I have two arms, does that count?

Jim - Yes indeed, I could not find a source for your quote either. I enjoy using Famous Quotes and Quotations at BrainyQuote to find interesting quotes from our founding fathers. I am glad you started this thread so we can flush out them crazy loons and get a clean shot.

Randy - It only counts if one is willing to use a weapon to defend liberty if it was required.

Green - A pencil would be find, perhaps we should stick most of the politicians with their own pencils for a start. Flechettes, well, ha ha, I was trying to behave and not start something, but I guess it got boring...

This is the situation we find ourselves in now, with the loons in charge at this moment.

When the legislative and executive powers are united in the same person, or in the same body of magistrates, there can be no liberty; because apprehensions may arise, lest the same monarch or senate should enact tyrannical laws, to execute them in a tyrannical manner.
Charles de Secondat

This should be the result:
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

once them there crazy fellers come out of the wood work, you might want to try some of that there Flechette ammo, so stock up. http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/12gaugeammo.html

Now let's sit back and wait :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom