Are you a stroke?

Are you a stroke?

• Yes, I am a stroke

Votes: 93 79.5%
  • No, I am not a stroke

Votes: 24 20.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if 79% of folk (on last check of the poll) really are strokes.

The Irvine definition (I just checked it on the WKPP site) is "somebody with an unsafe attitude".

I like to believe that I place considerable emphasis on safety - my own and my buddy's primarily, but everybody elses too.

MN

Anybody remember that song by Billy Squire, Stroke me stroke me?

I'm a stroke!! In gear configuration only... In attitude I'm a cool dude=-)

My gear is leaning towards DIR, I don't like the BP though, it doesn't feel good against my back. That was a Halcyon, maybe a different plate might feel different... I went back to my Oceanic Chute II and modified it. It has a crotch strap, rigged for doubles from the factory, Stainless steel cables through the fastex shoulder buckles so they can't break, cut off excess d rings and straps, put on a SS buckle in front, and shortened the inflator hose. The kevlar wing is very strong and has up to 50lbs lift and folds back like a pioneer wing. I'm still not finished yet but getting close. =-)

tampascott once bubbled...
Are the DIR people really taught to dive with only other DIR people? Wow, that sounds really limiting.
I would only dive staged decompression dives with a DIR trained diver as a buddy.

I would (and do) dive recreational dives with non-DIR buddies but assess them on an easy dive before anything involving boats or current or depth or limited viz or ect.

It is not limiting at all... well I guess it is limiting... it limits my risk exposure.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I would only dive staged decompression dives with a DIR trained diver as a buddy.

So, if you have the opportunity to be paired with a guy who has 2000 deco dives w/ an excellent reputation for competence, safety and expertise, but he uses a ScubaPro Classic BCD, you won't make the dive with him? Under those circumstances, what limits your risk?

I have a friend who is GUE/DIR trained and is slowly being converted to the "Dark Side". I belive he now own a (gasp) Jon line and a lift bag.

Robert:doctor:

tampascott once bubbled...
you won't make the dive with him?
That is correct.

I recently had an invitation to do a staged deco dive... (one that I still plan on doing)... and I won't give any of the particulars just in case the others involved are on Scuba Board.

The fellow who invited me is not DIR and does not really know anything about me other than by word of mouth locally. I would never invite someone to do a dive like this that I did not know personally and had already done smaller dives with.

Warning bells were clanging. I thanked him and politely declined.

But back to the DIR part... regardless of how many dives this fellow and his friends have done and survived... I was not comfortable with the way they conduct their dives.

I really missed this thread... glad someone ressurected it! I almost put a third entry on the poll

() NetDoc is the "Alpha Stroke"

But not everyone appreciates my brand of humor... maybe if it said Halcyon on the side... THAT'S IT!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom