Are we traveling in a full circle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sometime in the early 1970's some genius figured out a way to achieve buoyancy while diving. No doubt, it was a cave/tech diver and I heard that the innovator used plastic milk jugs tied to his back like floaties. The diver would inflate orally and deflate with a tip of the jug.
Dive equipment manufacturers jumped on the band wagon and began developing sophistocated BCDs. Of course, sophistocated back in the day was a bladder attached to a harness of some sort with a tank mount. Then, another tech/cave diver figured out weight integration was a good idea and once again equipment manufacturers modified their BCDs to include weight integration.
And while on a roll, what the heck, diver equipment manufacturers started putting pockets in so divers could carry items like spare knives, lights, SMB, spool or whatnot.
Now, probably because I have suddenly taken a keen interest in the BP/W and recognize the flaws of my old style jacket BCD, I ponder if manufacturers will move off the kick of trying to maximize the jacket BCD and begin to simplify designs.
Zeagle has a relatively simple recreational BCD and it is popular, useful and easy to service. BP/W manufacturers are more and more well known and popular.
Likewise, many traditional BCD manufacturers have developed the "travel unit" that is bare bones but works as well as the most assessorized of the BCDs.
Are we coming full circle? Will BCDs become more practical and less assessorized? Does the average diver want simplicity or would he/she prefer the bells and whisles?
After having used both, I find simple better and no longer spend nights wondering what am I supposed to store in all those pockets. Of course, I now spend nights walking around practicing hooking and unhooking snap hooks but that is another subject.
Amazing how opinions can change with a little knowledge and experience. I think it would be a good thing to see the assessorized BCDs bite the dust and more practical, safer diving systems take their place.

Im not convinced BCs are that evil. Just an alternative view of doing something.

To go the full circle you'd be diving with no buoyancy compensator...

Pockets have their uses, things like spare masks, backup tables etc are best stowed in them so cant remove them all together. I like suit pockets though.

Some things are better clipped than in a pocket.

A lot of it is how an individual decides he needs to store things.

After looking at the buyers guide in sport diver magazine I would say most of the manufacturers are increasing the bells and whistles. The pries are getting a little out of hand also. A bp/wing rig is actually cheaper than many of the more traditional bc's. What I cant figure is why so many spend so much on bc's that are so prone to broken buckles and built in retractors that won't retract and have such a narrow range of adjustment. I can honestly say I have gone full circle in gear sellection, I won't dive in anyting but my bp/wing. And I also tried the split fins for a couple dives and am convinced that my really old sp jets are the only way to go. But that's just my opinion.

I've tried split fins and hate them.

But i dive a wing and looking at buying an old style BCD for gentle dives again.

When we go on a journey, be it above or below the water, and have the good fortune to know in advance what we'll be doing, we can bring along JUST what's needed. If fortune isn't generous, we'll be less prepared.

For the recreational world, it's more sightseeing. For the tech/commercial folks, it's more mission specific. Sightseeing is less structured usually and the variables often mean unless you got the gadget you can't enjoy the view. Tech/commercial usually know what to expect, bring the gadget, attain the goal.

The bottom line is to survive down there we really only need air. The other stuff just adds comfort. How much comfort...how much fun...how much safety...all great questions, will be debated for time to come.

I would rather carry my leatherman than a tool box...enough air for the adventure not the fill station.

Hoa!

P.S. less is more...more to bring back because you don't have the burden of what you brought!

I doubt we'll ever see the loss of bells and whistles on BC's. They are a great selling point to the newly carded OW diver or someone who doesn't see any benefit to a minimalist approach.

If a shop had nothing but a wall full of backplates and wings and then another wall full of Mares HUB's or Dacor Rig's, which do you think the newly carded would be more likely to buy?

I think there is an argument to be made (especially for certain personality types) against redundancy. Too many safety net "back-ups" can muddy the water, i. e. your thinking.

Just my opinion. I don't dive with pockets full of items that might give me a false sense of securty. Simpler is better, whether it's my air supply or lights and knives.
If you only carry a SMB and one knife you really don't need pockets.

No, not really. It's more of an ellipse.

deepblueme:
Milk jugs? Thats funny!!!!

That's what they actually did. Not sure if it was Sheck's idea or one of his contemporaries but they needed some way to keep from silting out the cave on every dive.

As I understand, they would have the jugs on a string that they could pull over their heads so it would catch their exhaust bubbles. They would then tip the jugs to dump air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom