Are we traveling in a full circle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a light (torch) mount it on my shoulder harness with a snap hook held tight with a rubber band on the bottom. Easy to deploy, easy to stow and out of way when not in use. I also have a small knife mounted on my waist strap, out of way and easily accessible. I keep a SMB in the pocket between my plate and my back and keep a spool hung on the rear crotch Dring. I do not carry a spare mask since I do no tech or penetration type diving and feel I do not need one but that could be one thing a pocket would be handy for. As for a tank banger, well I can live without one. Just use hand or light signals to communicate with your buddy.

Simplify? The BCD is the greatest invention in recreational diving, it's development is what allowed diving to go mainstream as a sport. Period. And since 99.95% of all divers are recreational... simple:

SCPCP.JPG

catherine96821:
I think there is an argument to be made (especially for certain personality types) against redundancy. Too many safety net "back-ups" can muddy the water, i. e. your thinking.

Just my opinion. I don't dive with pockets full of items that might give me a false sense of securty. Simpler is better, whether it's my air supply or lights and knives.
If you only carry a SMB and one knife you really don't need pockets.
Yeah, but you can almost always look up and see your boat!

P.S. Milk jugs are true, and also Jerry Cans under the stomach. Both pre-dated Exley I believe.

daniel f aleman:
Simplify? The BCD is the greatest invention in recreational diving, it's development is what allowed diving to go mainstream as a sport. Period. And since 99.95% of all divers are recreational... simple: ...
And the two guys most responsible for the modern BCD, Steve Paule and Dave McLean are SBers

I"m not sure anyone routinely used milk jugs. I've been diving since the late 60's and never saw that....ever! We started using the airforce "mae west" vest with the pip straw oral inflator. Pretty bad since you had to roll on your back to vent air. Then Fenzy came out with the first corrugated hose behind the neck inflator. You still had to hold the inflator above your head to vent (you couldn't pull on it). Fenzy had the bright idea to put a small pony bottle of co2 for emergency polaris ascents. Later decided not a good idea.
As for BPW, they are pretty old. Long before the term "tech diver" even emerged. They started with the "Atpack" (early 70's). This was weight integrated with lead shot in the backpack. The dive industry howled about it being the "death pack". Puts you face down....too heavy to manage above water...yadda yadda. In that regards, we have gone full circle.

Fenzy style bottles aren't quite dead.

The apvalves (buddy) range of BCDs and wings still have a small 0.4l cylinder filled off a normal tank for "emergencies".

I think they're lethal and have seem them accidentally activated, others however swear you're going to die without one.

String:
Fenzy style bottles aren't quite dead.

The apvalves (buddy) range of BCDs and wings still have a small 0.4l cylinder filled off a normal tank for "emergencies".

I think they're lethal and have seem them accidentally activated, others however swear you're going to die without one.
I bought my first FENZY in 1968 and I've had at least one ever since. I've NEVER had one accidently activate.

The crack bottles are easier to activate as its a normal cylinder valve prone to rolling on. And given its on the back and side of the BC it tends to bang on things.

As for Fenzy/ABLJs i know of one person that still occasionally dives with one (although he does own a bcd as well).

Now you know two.

One person in question i know dives a full wing, trimix with stages but still uses his ABLJ under the wing "just in case".

Fairly comical to see him pull on 3 dive timers, wrist slates then ablj :)

I use the FENZY when I dive dry and am only carrying enough gas to be able to swing the buoyancy shift on my lungs comfortably.

Back
Top Bottom