Are we traveling in a full circle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My evolution went like this:

Jacket BC
Back Inflation BC (to allow for drysuit)
BP/W

I have never gone back to the jacket or the Ranger once I bought the BP/W. It just seems glued to my back and I have become a minimalist in my dive gear. A lot less drag.

However, I do miss having a pocket whenever I find some trash during a dive. I end up carrying it out in one hand.

I am seeing more reviews on tech-like set ups in the dive mags...right next to the articles with with the bell and whistle BC's!!!! I think there will always be a market for both.

Hijack alert: Maui trip in jeopardy this year...may be buying dream home here instead...and a lot of maccoroni and cheese....stay tuned.:(

Of course, I now spend nights walking around practicing hooking and unhooking snap hooks but that is another subject.

Hmmnn post katrina night life not that exciting?

yes I am making the circle looking at tech BC but still have to wear the LDS uniform working with students

I have a hard time buyin into that plastic milk jugs were where BCD came from.

I was told it was from udt divers comming back to the states(post WW2) and buying suplus maywest life jackets to use for surface bouyancy. Long before cave/tech diving was thought about.

CrawfishDiver:
Hmmnn post katrina night life not that exciting?

yes I am making the circle looking at tech BC but still have to wear the LDS uniform working with students
since I have been introduced to diving, I dont have time or money for nightlife unless it is a night dive. All my time is spent reading about diving, practicing diving or just plain diving.
And why not teach students that there are other options besides the standard jacket style BCD? The LDS surely can make as much selling a BP/W rig, right? I know I paid around $650 for my ScubaPro GlidePlus with Air2 and around $625 for my Halcyon Eclipse BP/W with harness. Seems priced about the same and I would bet profit margins are the same, too.
When are we going diving for crawfish together? You do know it is quite warmer down here, dont you?

As far as easy (no current, no wind, good viz) tropical recreational dives are concerned, some folks HAVE gone full circle and don't bother with a BC or a wing:

TropicalMinimalistBadge.png

I know a diver who told about using Chlorox bottles as "buoyancy compensators" long bofore the old horse collars were developed. So I have a tendency to buy the milk jug story, too.

And crawfishdiver, you don't get any sympathy from me.
When we volunteer at Aquarena Center (San Marcos Springs, Texas), we have to wear a neon-yellow jumpsuit over our wetsuit. Since it's "one size fits most", if it doesn't fit our upper bodies, we have to tie it by the sleeves at the waist. For that reason, we call them "tu-tu's". Very stylish. Must provide a lot of mirth among the tourists when the glass bottomed boats cruise overhead.

And crawfishdiver, you don't get any sympathy from me.
When we volunteer at Aquarena Center (San Marcos Springs, Texas), we have to wear a neon-yellow jumpsuit over our wetsuit. Since it's "one size fits most", if it doesn't fit our upper bodies, we have to tie it by the sleeves at the waist. For that reason, we call them "tu-tu's". Very stylish. Must provide a lot of mirth among the tourists when the glass bottomed boats cruise overhead.

I think there is a link for a dry suit that would go good with your jumpsuit LOL :rofl3:

Warmer what could be warmer than the 46 degree Arkansas lakes right now:wink:

catherine96821:
Just my opinion. I don't dive with pockets full of items that might give me a false sense of securty. Simpler is better, whether it's my air supply or lights and knives.
If you only carry a SMB and one knife you really don't need pockets.

If you NEED something for a dive dont only take one of them. I carry a DSMB and reel and a backup dsmb and wreck reel. Simply because 100% of diving here ends using one and its a safety thing, that alone needs pockets for the spare.
I also cant believe someone would dive without a whistle, strobe and/or torch.

Too much is bad but theres a bare minimum everyone should carry on every dive and for things like this pockets are useful, i dont use my strobe or whistle or spare mask much but MAY need it on ANY dive so has to be carried. Again pockets are great for this.

Carribeandiver:
.....After having used both, I find simple better and no longer spend nights wondering what am I supposed to store in all those pockets....

Pockets are cool! I've got a saftey sausage (in case I'm lost at sea), my knife (since kids keep stealing the one I have attached to the outside of my bcd while it's drying), a tank banger thingie (really it's for slapping people across the knuckles), a magnifying glass (for when I find the REALLY small stuff), and a little dive light (for looking in holes) in my pockets. Can I dive without all that stuff? Yup. But it's all nice to have around in case I need or want it.
More or less does not imply better. You need to have what makes you feel comfortable and what is nessicary in your local area. I mean I've never been entangled in kelp or fishing line (and I don't think I'm likely to), but I still carry a knife.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom