Are resort DM's really that reckless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving is a potentially life threatening situation, no matter what the diving environment is. By your logic, people should just stay out of the water.
Come on, thats grasping at straws a bit. Crossing the road is potentially life threatening too - hell so is opening the fridge! I hope you know the difference between open water diving and diving in caverns otherwise your training was a mess too!

Me either. But if it happens because they violate the training they have received, or didn't bother to understand the basics of safe diving through their own initiative (in the event they received poor training), and it wasn't due to some fault of mine, then I'm not going to feel too guilty about it just because they saw me descend into a hole they were not prepared for and they followed me anyway.

Who cares about guilt? I think your comment appears extremely selfish - as long as its not your fault let them die!? Granted, sometime ***** happens and things go wrong, but I personally couldnt live with myself if someone died / got injured badly when I could have stopped it.

This goes out to a DM (and not a digital wannabe).
What is taught in training for the DM certification?

This is for DiveCon (SSI - DM & AI)

Is there any direction given or taught on how to lead dives?
Yes. Chapter 3.

Is there anything at all that says to cater a dive to the weakest of the group or how to plan the dive with a group?
The experienced divers can be told "See you back on the boat with 500PSI. You can board using the ladders in the stern." The inexperienced divers get a guided dive with the DC checking air pressure and diver status during the dive, and ending the dive at an appropriate time to get everybody back to the surface with the planned minimum air pressure.

Is there anything that states you should keep dives to the training level of your divers? Is there anything that says not to take open water divers with 3 post certification dives on a cave dive? Anything at all?
Yes.

More specifically it says that the dives should be selected based on the diver's actual capabilities, not just the presence of an "advanced" C-Card. It warns against taking divers on dives that exceed their skills or into dangerous environments.

Although it doesn't specifically say "Don't take OW divers into caves", by definition, an OW diver does not have cave training, and therefore doesn't have the skills necessary to do a cave dive. This would fall under the "don't exceed the diver's skill level" warning.

Terry

Thanks Terry. That sheds some light on a previously dark corner. It also points out just how good some people are at "following their training". Maybe their DM training was purchased off the internet or the back of a pack of matches.

Perhaps you should read my entire post rather than stopping where you obviously did. You would see simply by reading that I found this to be a great thread as well. A lot of good information came out. Also, if you read the post which I quoted you would see that the OP quoted another poster as saying Somebody got offended which is why I said that someone always will. That is life.

Well... as ya' clipped my bit (... the "take exception to"... line...) as an example of somebody who got offended... I'd like to clarify that I was not, actually, offended. *Annoyed*, a bit... *frustrated* a bit more... but not actually offended. :)

ScubaSteve001:
This goes out to a DM (and not a digital wannabe). What is taught in training for the DM certification? Is there any direction given or taught on how to lead dives? Is there anything at all that says to cater a dive to the weakest of the group or how to plan the dive with a group? Is there anything that states you should keep dives to the training level of your divers? Anything at all? I am not a DM and it is likely that most of the people on this thread are not. I am curious.

Well... that's an interesting question. I think my best answer would be... "Not really..."

Most of what is taught with regard to dive planning is basically a rehash of what you learn in OW. There is more on how to organize... how to watch for signs of stress... the basic mechanics of leading a dive... emergency proceedures... etc., etc...

But the problem with the concept of "how to lead a dive" is the same as how to "plan" a dive.. depends on the when, where, who and what's that are involved... not all OW divers are created the same... and when you have a mixed bag of skills and what may be challenging to one may be boring as heck to the next. Not all dives are the same... dive at the Elbow in the Keys one day and the water may be flat and calm... next day you could have a ripping current (or what might FEEL like a ripping current to somebody who has no experience with current...)... how do you plan for that??? If the diver has no idea what a 3 knot current feels like how are they to intelligently judge whether what sounds benign... is or isn't? ... and if the DIVER doesn't know... how is a DM to judge for them?

It's kinda' like roller-coasters... even the most *exciting* out there doesn't hold any particular fear-factor for me... it's a flippin' roller-coaster after all and little kids ride them... how scarry can that be??? HOWEVER... get somebody who has a bit of a phobia issue and... well... yea, I can see how they might truely be frightened. Now... does this make the coaster unsafe? Does this make the operater guilty of 'recklessness' for having it there? If you don't realize how scarry it is BEFORE you get on it is it the operator's fault???

There have been any number of references during this thread to divers "getting suprised" and then having to make hard decisions... the general thrust seems to be that the DM shouldn't have put them in a position where either suprises occur... or decisions need to be made. I'd argue that BOTH of these concepts are inconsistant with the realities of diving. Any time you're outside of your local pool the probability of a 'suprise' occuring... or a hard decsion needing to be made increases... If diver's aren't clear on this concept then perhaps the fundimental education system needs to be re-examined.

AS String (I believe it was String) pointed out... there are not *rules*. ... just guidelines... your cert card isn't a license ... its a certification... a testimate that you've had a certain level of training... I *assume* (unless you tell me otherwise) that you have a certain level of proficiency at the skills that certification represents. There is nothing that stops you from entering a cave... diving to absurd depths... doing night dives without ever having taken a class... doing unprepared wreck penetrations... etc., etc. except your own risk tolerance and willingness to push... or not push... the boundaries.

Dive OPs won't give you an air fill without a cert card... but that's a liability issue on their part... nothing stops YOU from buying a compressor and assuming your OWN liability...

There are NO Scuba cops... and when there are no cops (who generally are there to bust us for doing what we know was wrong to do in the first place...but thought we could get away with...)... policiing is 'self-policing'...

As noted before... YOU plan YOUR dive... and YOU dive YOUR plan. If you can't get enough info to make you informed about a dive... don't dive... period. I don't care how much you paid... or didn't pay... it isn't worth the risk... it isn't the DM's responsibility to make these decisions for you even if we did have the capacity.

Bottom line... if you don't feel competent about a dive... don't go. If you don't KNOW enough to make the determination about your competency... don't go... If the dive op won't give you enough information about a site for you to make a judgement... don't go... If you have a problem during a dive... aborting a dive is always an option... (personally I don't see any difference between a hardware failure and an *environmental failure*... ie, current too strong... depth too deep... sudden cave appearance... unavoidable wreck penetration... just not feeling well... etc.... if things are wrong then things are WRONG... abort the dive and start over when things are right...).

Most of all... understand that, at all times, YOU are always in control of YOUR dive... not the DM... not the Dive Op... not King Neptune... you and ONLY you. The scarriest thing about this thread (to me)... is the number of people that assume that the DM is there to do their thinking for them... or to be responsible for them... and do so without realizing the risks fundimentally inherent with kind of thinking. (... and, until you're certified to use that finger... I wouldn't go wagging it around too much... fishie might think it's a worm and bite it off... :rofl3:)

I'm not trying to be a harda$$... I'm trying to keep you alive...

J.R - Then dont you think that because relatively few people are certified to cave dive (for example) that DM's / Operators should simply not dive caves? I agree its not a law or a rule and is personal choice. It just seems to me that its like waving a bar of chocolate in front of the fat lass on a diet. They know they *shouldnt* but maybe just one wont hurt....

I think responsibility has to increase all round. Divers need to know that they are in charge of their own destiny, but DM's have to understand that they are looked upon as being the authority figure for new divers - new divers WILL copy them or follow them! Maybe this DOES make the new diver stupid, but at the same time the DM has to take this into account being the professional. Why does it have to be one or the other?

... oh... and one more question. If you and a buddy decide to drive out and do a shore dive somewhere... and something unplanned occurs... who are you going to blame then?

Now before anybody answers with, "Well.. that's DIFFERENT because we didn't hire a DM..." I'm going to toss in that there is NO difference... a dive is a dive. You don't have the right to abrogate responsibility for yourself because you've *hired* somebody to show you around...

... oh... and one more question. If you and a buddy decide to drive out and do a shore dive somewhere... and something unplanned occurs... who are you going to blame then?

Now before anybody answers with, "Well.. that's DIFFERENT because we didn't hire a DM..." I'm going to toss in that there is NO difference... a dive is a dive. You don't have the right to abrogate responsibility for yourself because you've *hired* somebody to show you around...

You're missing the point - on a dive with no DM, there is no authority figure leading newbies into a cave, and chances are the newbie would stay away. Its not about whether the DM is paid for, the mere presence of a DM will make most new divers put faith in the fact he will keep them safe. This MAY be stupid, but its the reality - so do everyone a favour and stay away from the cave when 90 to 100% of the group will NOT be cave certified, regardless of experience. If those who are experienced enough to dive caves want to dive caves, then get certified and go on a cave diving trip!

J.R - Then dont you think that because relatively few people are certified to cave dive (for example) that DM's / Operators should simply not dive caves? I agree its not a law or a rule and is personal choice. It just seems to me that its like waving a bar of chocolate in front of the fat lass on a diet. They know they *shouldnt* but maybe just one wont hurt....

No... I actually don't. The problem with this logic is that it's a slippery slope. How many people have you met who look at SCUBA as people taking unnecessary risks? It's a short walk from your premise to simply outlawing diving because compared to the broad population... relatively few people dive.

In my opinion, the key to all of this is self regulation. If I don't want to go somewhere I don't go... period. As long as *the rules* don't give somebody the authority to force me to do something I don't feel comfortable with then safety is well served.

... and as far as that 'chocolate bar'... The problem is that what may look like a 'chocolate bar' to you might well look like rat poison to me... and like vegetables to somebody else. To make SCUBA as a whole conform to my personal comfort level is a non-starter... regardless of how rational I feel my own personal comfort level is.

I think responsibility has to increase all round. Divers need to know that they are in charge of their own destiny, but DM's have to understand that they are looked upon as being the authority figure for new divers. Why does it have to be one or the other?

I won't disagree with you here... but the FINAL decsion must lie with the diver... regardless of how much 'responsibility' increase occurs. You may wish to see a DM as an authority figure... but that can not... in any way, relieve you of your responsibilities for self accountability and having the final say on what you do or don't do... (thus speaks the authority figure)....

I am all for the diver accepting responsibility. At no point have I ever absolved the diver of any responsibility. I just cannot tolerate the DM refusing to accept any? Like it or not, people expect a certain level of professionalism and competence from a DM. I think it is funny how people can interperet the training they get so differently. One person says YES something is there and another say NO it is not. Perhaps it is dated training....or different agencies teaching different things.....or even some people hearing what they want. Only the individual knows what they think they know.

You're missing the point - on a dive with no DM, there is no authority figure leading newbies into a cave, and chances are the newbie would stay away.

With respect... no... not missing the point. This is EXACTLY the point... there is no difference. The key fundimatal point is that the DM can't MAKE the newbie enter the 'cave'... whether the newbie does so on their own enticement... or because they feel 'pressured'... or because they have a false sense of safety doesn't change the fact that the newbie enteried the cave of their own free will...

"NO" is the most powerful word in any language... the willingness to use it is self empowement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom