are people really this clueless???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booth22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So the wife and I went to nitrox class last night and I was amazed at how many people can't follow instructions....

When we got our books/dvd we were told to watch/read them and complete the reviews/quizes in each section in time for class. This would sound simple enough for most people, yet in our class of 8 or 9 (one was already certified) only 3-maybe 4 of us had actually done the work. I don't mind if you don't feel like doing work- but don't show up to class and waste my time. We spent 2 1/2 hours of class time basically completing the review questions one at a time so people who didn't do their work could figure out the problems and write down answers.

I was under the assumption you did that at home, and came to class... umm... prepared??? I understand if you don't follow the tables and need extra assistance or maybe a few practice problems- but when you come to class without any (seemingly) previous exposure to the information it is amazing to me.

I'm not sure whether to feel bad for the instructor who has to deal with these people, or be upset he let them stay in a class for which they obviously were unprepared for and waste other peoples time?

And it's worth mentioning our class is two nights of classroom- no more dives for nitrox class- from 6-10pm. Class finished early-about an hour- as people in the group needed time to go practice the tables!? Perhaps they missed the practice problems in the book or the 1 1/2 hours we spent going over the tables....

And I'm more than happy to spend all 4 hours both days covering material- even using that time to help people who have tried the problems and need some help (we've all been there), but when you show up to class with a blank review and you don't have at least a concept of how to use an RDP, that is where the sympathy ends.

Thanks for letting me vent. :D

Unfortunately, I think that is norm all to often. My OW class was just me and my sister, both of us read the book. When we could actually answer all the questions the instructor asked, he made a comment about how nice it was to get students that actually read the book. He said there was one student that had taken the writen test and failed it several times now . . . it was a teen whose family was all getting certified for vacation. I think if I were her parents, I'd be reconsidering let her dive after that many attempts.

I've had a few classes, some I had time to read the book, some I didn't. I knew my classmates, most of whom I would know, would catch me up. With work and kids sometimes the best laid plans (of studying) just don't happen. In divemaster class however, I was always prepared.

Now you know how professors, teachers, and TAs everywhere feel :evil: Do you have any kids?

Indeed booth22 it does happen and as noted above, quite commonly. It is extremely annoying for the instructor especially if the instructor is one who is going add material or fill in some areas that are somewhat glossed over in the text or other instructional materials. The end result is that those in the class don't get as good a class as they could have.

Coming to class unprepared is grossly unfair to the prepared students not to mention the waste of my time as an instructor in preparing the course.

Yes, some people really are that clueless.
In my recent OW class, there was a couple who obviously hadn't spent a moment reading the material, or even watching the video, before coming to class.
The guy had a question about Everything the instructor said. If he had just watched the video, he would have saved us all a lot of time.

What really became frustrating was the "equipment" portion of the class!
"How much does that cost?" - after almost everything the instructor showed us.
"Why do you sell that brand?" - shop on your own time, we paid to listen to the instructor, not you.
"Do you sell good equipment here?" - Like they'd tell you if it was trash!

The instructor was unbelievably patient... more than I could have been.

Felix

It seems to me that the instructor expected this behavior. 8 hours is a very long class for Nitrox. Mine was half that long and I think we covered the class work of Advanced Nitrox in 8 hours. The policy of our LDS is that if you don't have your bookwork done for a specialty class, you had to sit in the next one. In OW class, if you had not completed your chapter reviews, you had to buy the instructor a 6-pack of his favorite beer and a endure a public scolding. :wink:

stardust:
With work and kids sometimes the best laid plans (of studying) just don't happen.

If this is the case, perhaps people should reschedule and attend a class when they are prepared.

Doc Intrepid:
Yes. Some people really are this clueless.

Don't dive with them.

Thank goodness I have a wife who likes to dive as my dive buddy!

Gidds:
Now you know how professors, teachers, and TAs everywhere feel Do you have any kids?

No kids, but my wife is a teacher and knows all about this. I guess the problem is I hoped adults would be more responsible than young children.... :shakehead

TheRedHead:
The policy of our LDS is that if you don't have your bookwork done for a specialty class, you had to sit in the next one.

I'll be suggesting this to the LDS I took the class at. The instructor could tell by the look on our faces- at the end of the class he appologized and said he was trying to move along as best he could.

Unfortunately I think that this is more becoming the norm than the exception. Our society is removing personal responsibility and allowing excuses rather than providing punishment for bad behavior. This adversely affects those who truely do care and want to work hard for a good education, good job, good knowledge of diving, etc.

I work it like this:

If you come to class unprepared, go home. I'll be polite but you are not going to waste time of those who did prepare. I'll be glad to schedule some other time for those who are not prepared, but I will not adversely affect those who put forth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom