are people really this clueless???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While it is true that children are not little adults, it is also true the adults are just big children a lot of the time.

What I find annoying about what happened to you is that this is a class everyone had payed for, so you were getting less for your money than the others who didn't do their work, basiclly since you did your homework you got to spend less quality time with your instructor. Which is totally not fair. In a small class it is even more important to do your work so that you don't let down everyone else in the class. I hope that you got to spend enough time with the instructor when (s)he was able to go over the material they wanted to deal with that wasn't in the book.

booth22:
I guess the problem is I hoped adults would be more responsible than young children.... :shakehead

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLMAO! You're KILLING me! Daggone that's funny!

I teach scuba at a university and am thrilled when I have students who are actually prepared. Some of them don't even buy the book until the end of the quarter when it finally sinks in that they need it to study for the final exam. They wander into class late even though there is a quiz the first 10 minutes of every class that cannot be made up. If they talk to me about possible issues or at least call I don't mind so much but most of the time that's not the case. The responsible young children tend to be the responsible adults the others--wellll, not so much.
Ber :lilbunny:

I agree with Red, 8 hours is long for Nitrox, should take 4 hours max.

I find that most classes I have attended at least 1/3 of the students have not read the materials or watched the DVD. Very Sad indeed.

Ber Rabbit:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLMAO! You're KILLING me! Daggone that's funny!

Fore the record, I hoped they were more responsible. I knew better than to think they were. :wink:

booth22:
Fore the record, I hoped they were more responsible. I knew better than to think they were. :wink:

Every quarter I hope for more responsible students, I emphasize the importance of reading the book, I make them type up the dive table term definitions (verbatim) for a grade--some of them screw that up *sigh* I do get some wonderful students as well as some twits, I tend to make the class hard enough to scare away most of the lazy :D
All is not lost so long as hope is still alive :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

booth22:
No kids, but my wife is a teacher and knows all about this. I guess the problem is I hoped adults would be more responsible than young children.... :shakehead

Most adults ARE young children. Just a little older.

Edit: Sorry Blacthorn, you already said it.

People can be more clueless than that. I was once asked, half way through an OW course, if we were going to be "putting the gear together tonight". At first I was quite confused but after a while it turned out that the student wanted to know if we'd be using the scuba gear in the pool that night. On the outside I smiled politely.

The worst is when people come in for section 4 (the bit with the RDP) of the OW course and don't have a clue how to use the thing. In the last course that I taught, 6 out of 8 people hadn't done their work for that class. I wanted to kill them, fricken RDP stuff takes soooo long to go over.

S. starfish:
The worst is when people come in for section 4 (the bit with the RDP) of the OW course and don't have a clue how to use the thing. In the last course that I taught, 6 out of 8 people hadn't done their work for that class. I wanted to kill them, fricken RDP stuff takes soooo long to go over.

You mean tables? I wish you PADI people would call them tables. You also have the wheel RDP.

So a question for the instructors...I imagine it would make you pretty nervous about taking someone under water who was unable to follow instructions to do homework. Have you ever turned someone away? I guess I'm just interested in the other end of all this - it's not just rudeness, a student who comes to a scuba class unprepared jeopardizes the learning experience and potentially the safety of the other students.

It was pretty clear in my head that what I was learning in open water was designed to keep me alive...even so we had one student in my class who insisted on doing the knowledge reviews in the book first to avoid having to actually read all of the material. How do you handle this situation? Do you feel pressure from your employers to push the student through the course anyway, or is the call up to you whether or not to let them dive?

Yes many people are that clueless, and the funny thing, they don't even know it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom