Are older tanks worth anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianS

Contributor
Reaction score
I have 2 AL 80s back from early 1980 that I doubt I would have hyro'd anymore. Are they worth keeping around just for the valves or should I just junk them?

If they are of 6351 alloy maybe not, depends on your LDS's willingness to fill them. Read this:

http://www.psicylinders.com/library/cracking.htm

If they are NOT 6351 you should have no problems with them. If you want to be certain no shops give you a hard time on fills with AL tanks, you want them to be made in 1988 or later.

There are lots of these tanks bought and sold on ebay each day. If the tanks are in good condition and you don't feel comfortable with using them then I would sell them.

I would, however, be upfront with the buyer about the risk. I personally have two tanks, one manufactured in '86, the other in '87, that I dive. I eventually plan on replacing them but in the meantime, I feel that 17 tanks out of 24 million tanks exploding is an exceptable risk as long as the tanks are adequately inspected.

I've never had a problem with a dive shop filling my tanks. Although, I only have local experience. I've heard, on the board, other areas are of a hassle, especially Florida.

I have a couple of old 80's I dive all the time. And yes they are the 6351 alloy. I have them vis- plus checked each year and there has been no problem with them. If you really want to get rid of them and don't want people to dive them, they are worth $15-20 each as scrap aluminum

Why not dive 'em? Old aluminum tanks are perfectly good, provided you get good inspections done every year. I have three tanks from 1981 and earlier, and all of them work just as well as new tanks.

Older aluminum tanks can have cracking problems, but it's pretty uncommon. If you have a good reason for not diving them yourself there will be plenty of divers happy to take them from you.

Back
Top Bottom