Are old steel 72's worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishmunger

Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like the going rate for an old steel 72 around here is 90 bucks if its in hydro and vis. Is that worth it, or would it be better to save 90 bucks more and buy a new LP 77 or 85? Is there anything a 72 has going for it that a newer tank doesn't?

Nostalgia. I used to dive 72's in 1972... it was a very good year. :)

Not anymore. I prefer to take more air with me when I dive.

Only thing steel tanks have going for them is that they are negative at a range of tank pressures which generally isn't true for aluminum tanks. Otherwise, its just a matter of how much air you want and how much money you got.

Yeah... $90 (kinda high in my opinion) vs $200... your choice

fishmunger:
It looks like the going rate for an old steel 72 around here is 90 bucks if its in hydro and vis. Is that worth it, or would it be better to save 90 bucks more and buy a new LP 77 or 85? Is there anything a 72 has going for it that a newer tank doesn't?

$90 is on the high side. With a fresh hydro and VIP it's not unreasonable. Here's the root of it... A dormant out of hydro sells for $15 - $25. Add to that Hydro, VIP and maybe a valve rebuild. Given your local fees for theses services if the total cost of acquiring approaches $90 then it's a decent deal.

Is the new hydro with the + ? Other wise you are looking at a 66 cubic foot cylinder.

How much air do you usually need? How many cubic feet do you generally need for your dives? Be sure to deal in cubic feet because this is a whole different pressure range.

Like nearly any steel cylinder it will help you avoid some lead on your belt and probably weigh less overall at the same time.

The smaller diameter, usually around 6.9 inches will get a double hose regulator closer to the lungs of the diver for a more normal breathing response.

They can make a nice pair of low profile doubles.

Pete

The best thing about old 72's is their bouyancy is almost perfect. 0 to + 1 empty and
-5 full. All 8 of my tanks are old 72's. I just bought one out of hydro for $35. And as Spectrum said they make great light doubles.

Captain Brian:
I've got 2 sets of 72 Doubles. They're the perfect tanks for my wife.
Sorry Captain... but I feel offended by that comment... 72's are a manly tank, ESPECIALLY as doubles (as long as there is no BC attached to them). So if your wife has a BC attached to those tanks, I will readily accept your apology for an incomplete statement.:wink:

spectrum:
$90 is on the high side. With a fresh hydro and VIP it's not unreasonable. Here's the root of it... A dormant out of hydro sells for $15 - $25. Add to that Hydro, VIP and maybe a valve rebuild. Given your local fees for theses services if the total cost of acquiring approaches $90 then it's a decent deal.

Is the new hydro with the + ? Other wise you are looking at a 66 cubic foot cylinder.

How much air do you usually need? How many cubic feet do you generally need for your dives? Be sure to deal in cubic feet because this is a whole different pressure range.

Like nearly any steel cylinder it will help you avoid some lead on your belt and probably weigh less overall at the same time.

The smaller diameter, usually around 6.9 inches will get a double hose regulator closer to the lungs of the diver for a more normal breathing response.

They can make a nice pair of low profile doubles.

Pete
I tried to explain just that to this old boy in Alaska who had some very old dive gear for sale. 2 80 Als 1 72 al and 2 LP steel 72s. All 20 years out of hydro. Someone told him that with a new hydro they were good as new. I guess he thought that he should ask new prices. I offered $100 for all five, he laughed. He still has the tanks Im sure. Not many divers there. He is very old so I may get them for $100 at an estate sale some day....A good rule of thumb is with a recent vis and hydro good for a coouple of years, half of new prices as long as the tanks does not need to be tumbled or have the valve rebuilt/replaced.

Going rate I've seen for used tanks are $75 for AL80s in recent Hydro/VIP, $200 for HP tanks (any volume) and $40 for 72s with current hydro & VIP. Mostly people have been giving me their 72s because they are 10-15years out of hydro... it's a crapshoot if they pass hydro or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom