Are old steel 72's worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Her is my rules for buying old steel 72's
1 If they have a boot take it off and check for any rust.
2 Try to get them from fresh water diving areas, Great Lakes, mid west states,etc.
3 If they look good on the outside they are usually good on the inside.
4 If you can take the valve off and peek in side, if you can't hold it up by the valve and tap it lightly with a hammer, it should have a clear high pitched ring. If it sounds dull it probably has excessive rust inside

72s are great tanks for shallow shore diving if you can get them on the cheap. I have two, one was free from my dad and the other I bought a few years ago for $100 that just had a brand new hydro and VIP. But, once you start getting into replacing old valves(many of them are the old J style valves) or rebuilding newer ones, then the cost might not seem worth it. I tell everybody that asks, forget the 72s or the AL80s and cough up the extra dough for a pair of a HP100s or LP95s...IMHO they're worth it.

LobstaMan

LobstaMan:
72s are great tanks for shallow shore diving if you can get them on the cheap. I have two, one was free from my dad and the other I bought a few years ago for $100 that just had a brand new hydro and VIP. But, once you start getting into replacing old valves(many of them are the old J style valves) or rebuilding newer ones, then the cost might not seem worth it. I tell everybody that asks, forget the 72s or the AL80s and cough up the extra dough for a pair of a HP100s or LP95s...IMHO they're worth it.

LobstaMan

There is absoutly no need to replace working J valves, just leave the lever down.

I know J valves work perfectly well, but I'm pretty anal about having all my equipment the same. Less thought, less mistakes works for me. By the way, I went DIN a few years back and had to replace them then anyhow. I wasn't saying it's automatic, although the LSD I went to to get them checked out said it's getting harder and harder to find replacement parts for the older J valves. I still have them in my dive locker.

LobstaMan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom