Are "old" computers safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have an "old" Orca Phoenix AI computer that I love...9v USER REPLACABLE battery and very easy to read. I took my primary rig to a LDS a few days ago & was kindly chidded by several divers. I defended my old computer, but it did make me think..."is it time for a new computer?"
MY thinking is that-as long as it works properly-there doesn't seem to be a real reason to spend the $. If the "old" computers didn't work, divers would have gotten bent (or worse) & computers would have gotten a bad reputation.
Heck, people dove the Doria (and deeper) with Orca Edges!
WHY buy a new computer?? I'm looking at a used computer (wrist mount) to use as a back-up; I DO need a computer that'll do Nitrox & "mix," but I see no real reason that newer computers are better than "old" (late 80s-90s) computers. I've been on boats that the DM required Nitrox divers to use AIR tables/settings anyway; I wasn't happy but did it. That's another discussion anyway, but my point remains the same: for "recreational" dives "old" computers are just fine.
Just my 2 cents...

Are you actually asking a question or is this just a rhetorical post with your opinion?

Newer algorithms are arguably better. So you might see an increase in dive time using one.

Also batteries tend to last longer - I go a couple years generally on one watch battery in mine.

Old pressure sensors are more likely to fail as the electronics age. I'd prefer to know the one measuring depth was pretty accurate.

Your call...

I have a US Divers Monitor II circa 1990 that works just fine. It is nowhere near as sophisticated as my Cobalt or my Pro Plus. I usually let one of my kids drag it around.

The pheonix is a great computer. It uses an older air algorithm (I believe) which is the same as as the marathon computer. It is aggressive. It eats 9 volt batteries, but they are easy to replace.

I wore out 3 of those computers, I think. The pressure sensor will fail and computer will be worthless, since it won't boot up when that happens. The problems were so prevalent than this model caused the company to shut down.. and they were the biggest dive computer company at the time.

It may last a long time.. just have a back up.

The Orca Phoenix had 100% failure rate. It is not a question of if but when it will fail. Also, it is used a very aggressive algorithm.

I have an "old" Orca Phoenix AI computer that I love...9v USER REPLACABLE battery and very easy to read. I took my primary rig to a LDS a few days ago & was kindly chidded by several divers. I defended my old computer, but it did make me think..."is it time for a new computer?"
MY thinking is that-as long as it works properly-there doesn't seem to be a real reason to spend the $. If the "old" computers didn't work, divers would have gotten bent (or worse) & computers would have gotten a bad reputation.
Heck, people dove the Doria (and deeper) with Orca Edges!
WHY buy a new computer?? I'm looking at a used computer (wrist mount) to use as a back-up; I DO need a computer that'll do Nitrox & "mix," but I see no real reason that newer computers are better than "old" (late 80s-90s) computers. I've been on boats that the DM required Nitrox divers to use AIR tables/settings anyway; I wasn't happy but did it. That's another discussion anyway, but my point remains the same: for "recreational" dives "old" computers are just fine.
Just my 2 cents...

A computer that does not do nitrox is useless to me. I would also have to understand the decompression algorithm, at least be able to compare NDLs to my current algorithm, DSAT. I dived a Cochran prior to my Oceanic computers, I'm used to seeing reasonably liberal algorithms, near the NOAA/Navy limits. I would be fearful that the old computer would lose a critical part such as the altitude/depth sensor. If I were you, I would buy a new computer, there are many to choose from.

for "recreational" dives "old" computers are just fine.
Can't set it for Nitrox. The embedded algorithm probably (at best) matches the old Navy tables, which no one uses or trusts any more. It eats batteries. The pressure sensor could fail at any moment.

Other than that, you are correct.

Oh, and your experience with "I've been on boats that the DM required Nitrox divers to use AIR tables/settings anyway" was an anomaly. Are you going to base your personal diving career (and possibly health) on some limited experience with some arbitrary DM on some arbitrary boat? I certainly hope not.

Why buy a new computer? The new computers are much safer (personal opinion) than the old ones. They do so much more as well. They just keep making them better. That being said if your Orca is working for you keep on using it. When I use my Monitor II on a dive boat, I have people want to look at it. One guy asked if they had discovered electricity when I bought? I use it in a harsh environment like a chlorinated swimming pool or the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville, TX where the water is so alkaline or is it acidic? I don't know. Any way it's really bad for scuba gear.

I am not a professional. I am a warm water, recreational diver. I rarely go below 100/120 feet. I mostly hang in the 60-80 range hugging coral.

I love technology; but, I also keep my stuff for a long time. I believe in the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you only have one computer, keep the Orca and relegate it to backup status and get a newer one.

Not quite. I looks like there is at least one still going strong.:wink:
The Orca Phoenix had 100% failure rate. It is not a question of if but when it will fail. Also, it is used a very aggressive algorithm.

Here's a news flash! All computers have a 100% failure rate. Given enough time. Batteries die, sensors give out, they get a tank set on them. It's why I love Shearwater. One of the first things in the manual is

"This computer will fail. It is not whether it will but when it will fail. Do not depend on it. Always have a plan on how to handle failures. Automatic systems are no substitute for knowledge and training.
No technology will keep you alive. Knowledge, skill, and practiced procedures are your best defense. (Except for not doing the dive)"

This statement is from one of, if not the best dive computer manufacturers there is in terms of product, service, and support. Any other claims from any other computer mfg or dealer about how their unit is safer, more reliable, has a better model of decompression algorithm is horse crap. You need to decide what your own level of risk is and what you are willing to do to deal with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom