Are dry gloves kosher?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He doesn't know any "badass" divers in the Seattle area using wet gloves . . .

... he said he thought he knew all the local DIR badasses and they all use dry gloves ... and AFAIK that is correct. I don't think I know anyone who does serious deco diving in Puget Sound or Lake Washington who dives in wet gloves ... DIR or otherwise ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Perhaps someone was pulling my leg... I have larger eyes than most people, so perhaps I look gullible... or maybe not all bad asses know each other... anyhow, it does not really matter... my primary takeaway from this discussion is that dry glove failure is not really something that anyone here would consider an emergency, and that it is very doable, even if somewhat uncomfortable, to complete even major deco with a flooded glove. I will continue to use my pullover gloves, with a wrist seal underneath for added safety. Thanks, everyone, for sharing...

Dry gloves + dry glove failure = wet gloves.

Btw, broke the holding tab on my Antares glove on last sunday and missed a dive, so it's probably time to give a try to the Nordic Blue rings.

Quoting myself for an update. Didn't install the Nordic Blue rings, but instead I've been simply using the pull-latex-sleeve-over-the-ring style gloves over the Antares rings, and amazingly they work just fine, at least for the past 3 dives I've had completely dry hands. The sealing surface is basically just the thin outer edge of the 'soft' suit side ring, but it seems to be enough. :) I'll probably add some sort of additional sealing surface there (a ring of Aquasure maybe), but the system is easy to use, and you can visually confirm you have a seal. A buddy will be helpful when putting the gloves on, but it's really quick, much easier than the gloves with seals.

//LN

Perhaps someone was pulling my leg... I have larger eyes than most people, so perhaps I look gullible... or maybe not all bad asses know each other... anyhow, it does not really matter... my primary takeaway from this discussion is that dry glove failure is not really something that anyone here would consider an emergency, and that it is very doable, even if somewhat uncomfortable, to complete even major deco with a flooded glove. I will continue to use my pullover gloves, with a wrist seal underneath for added safety. Thanks, everyone, for sharing...

You'll need to have some way to vent that wrist seal ... and it becomes more important as you go deeper. Wrist seals will act as a one-way valve otherwise ... allowing inflation gas to seep from drysuit to glove, but not allowing it to flow the other way. The result will be what we call "Mickey Mouse fingers" ... you'll end the dive wearing what looks like sausages for fingers, due to gas expansion on the ascent. That'll make it rather difficult to manage things like clips and inflator valves.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You'll need to have some way to vent that wrist seal ... and it becomes more important as you go deeper. Wrist seals will act as a one-way valve otherwise ... allowing inflation gas to seep from drysuit to glove, but not allowing it to flow the other way. The result will be what we call "Mickey Mouse fingers" ... you'll end the dive wearing what looks like sausages for fingers, due to gas expansion on the ascent. That'll make it rather difficult to manage things like clips and inflator valves. ... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yikes, I did not realize it acts as a one-way valve. I suppose a parachute cord will not do the trick? Remind me, Bob... short of having gloves permanently attached, which is something I would rather not do... what is the next best system you would recommend?

Yikes, I did not realize it acts as a one-way valve. I suppose a parachute cord will not do the trick? Remind me, Bob... short of having gloves permanently attached, which is something I would rather not do... what is the next best system you would recommend?

Anything that will put a vent in the seal, but that can be removed easily in the event of a glove failure. Some folks use a short piece of aquarium tubing or a couple inches long piece of bungee inserted under the wrist seal. If the glove floods, you pull it off, pull out the bungee or tubing, and put the glove back on.

With the right choice of underglove ... I prefer the green wool gloves that you can buy at any Army-Navy surplus store ... your hand will get cold, but not debilitatingly so, even in Puget Sound water temps ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Anything that will put a vent in the seal, but that can be removed easily in the event of a glove failure. Some folks use a short piece of aquarium tubing or a couple inches long piece of bungee inserted under the wrist seal. If the glove floods, you pull it off, pull out the bungee or tubing, and put the glove back on.

With the right choice of underglove ... I prefer the green wool gloves that you can buy at any Army-Navy surplus store ... your hand will get cold, but not debilitatingly so, even in Puget Sound water temps ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I confirm the green Army surplus gloves are the best... been diving those for a while now per Bob's recommendation, far better than thin Merino wool I was using before. Someone else once recommended the parachute cord to me for the purpose of venting. I have yet to try surgical tubing. Any other proven solutions out there?

I do remember hearing, years ago, that the EKPP had gone to wet gloves because they thought they were warmer than flooded dry gloves. I don't know what the temperatures are in the caves where the EKPP dives. And I have no idea whether they have stayed with that decision. It is definitely true that it is harder to damage wet gloves than dry gloves (or at least damage them enough to affect their function), so if you can find wet gloves that keep your hands warm enough and give you enough dexterity to be satisfied, there is no reason NOT to use them, unless your wrist seals leak. OTOH, I find wet gloves of sufficient thickness for Puget Sound to be even clumsier than dry gloves, and I have the kind of tendons that cause all wrist seals to leak, so I'm much happier with dry gloves.

I have the kind of tendons that cause all wrist seals to leak, so I'm much happier with dry gloves.

I had a similar experience diving in a pool when I first got my Fusion... my silicone wrist seals occasionally leaking when I use my hands for anything, e.g., to manipulate valves. I never had any leaks at the wrist after moving to pull over gloves (except those that made their way all the way down from the dump valve to the wrist).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom