Are backplates and wings not for noobs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mY DOCTOR AND i talked about my cholesterol levels he said they where great infact better then alot of skinny people. I do not eat much red meat anymore no salt no surger.
Enough said - although hopefully the doctor has a good idea of the issues directly related to scuba diving, many don't.

Well, if their cholesterol levels are good and stress tests show they're in good cardiovascular health, then I wouldn't call it "waiting to happen".

It's between him and his doctor - none of us on the internet are in any position to make an accurate medical observation.

BigTim...

have fun diving, it's a great way and good path to become better fit. Remember your limits and remember that your in control and you need to be for you and your buddy at all times. Make sure you check out some wrecks if you get the chance. It will change your life in a positive way and man, there is nothing like dropping down on a wreck.

Dive safe keep us posted on your progress.

Rob

I was talking with a guy from scubatoys. I will need to buy my bc before i get ow because of my size. He recommend a zeagle ranger ltd. I asked about the bp\w bcds
HE said there a bad idea for a newbi diver. IS that true

I'm sure that person has been recently fired.

You can outfit any size with a BP & wing. I have 2 twelve YO kids - yes BP w/ wings can go with them forever.

Man 6'7" about 350ish - yes BP w/ wing.

I'm sure it was a newbie salesman. I'm sorry for your experience. Most of the time good information is given out from that shop.

You know the guy came here to ask about BCD, what gives you the right to go on about his weight and if he should be diving. Thats up to him and his doctor. Grow the hell up! Great way to behave in front of a new member of the board, is this what you want people to see, assume this boards all about. I have never been so disgusted with lack of respect to a person. Man you guys are just to into yourselves.

Unfortunately, the people that complain like this are also the people that say, in reading a thread about someone who died, "Someone should have told him he shouldn't have been doing xyz." I suppose I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't.

I'm sorry but if you weigh 440 lbs you shouldn't be diving.

Use diving as motivation to lose weight and get in better shape. :) It's what I'm doing...

Unfortunately, the people that complain like this are also the people that say, in reading a thread about someone who died, "Someone should have told him he shouldn't have been doing xyz." I suppose I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't.
I'm sorry but if you weigh 440 lbs you shouldn't be diving.

Use diving as motivation to lose weight and get in better shape. :) It's what I'm doing...

I stand by what I said, and I am not the only one.

Yes well Sparticle Brain your kind of bull is to be expected thats that DIR philosophy and attitude we often see which as we all know is a bunch of bull s..t when trying to push it on recreational divers.

Big Tim if your doctor clears you do not listen or worry about the kind of attitude No brain sorry I mean particle brane is showing on his posts, I say go for it!

Oh and by the way as per your original question BP and wing is the way to go for you in my opinion. Ask the dive shop wher you decide to purchase to help you set up the harness as this can be a little tricky.

So what's your problem? If someone is going to have a heart-attack, why would you care if it was during a dive or sitting in front of the TV?

Terry

You have a much better chance of surviving a heart attack on dry land.

People die from heart-attacks on dry land all the time.

Sure it's "safer" on land, but you would need to decide how much safety you're willing to trade for how much living.

It's the OPs choice whether or not he dives.

Terry

Big Tims question was about back plate wing versus BCD jacket style, he did not ask anyone to do an evaluation of his health and fitness, so why anyone would decide to become Dr and give him advice on this is beyond me. I am sure he is capable of checking this out his and getting a proffesional opinion from someone more qualified than people on this thread that feel the need to give negative comments about his size.

Big Tim if your dream is to dive your Dr clears you I would be inclined to go with his opinion not some of the negative posts you have seen in this thread. You seem pretty fit to me and I know at least 2 divers your size one of them a little bigger that do some pretty demanding dives up here in Canada with no problem at all.

Again Big Guy go for it just take the correct steps healt check up, proper training, and always dive within your training and abilities, good luck.

People die from heart-attacks on dry land all the time.

People also survive heart attacks on dry land all the time.

I'm willing to bet that the number of people who have survived a heart attack while diving is vanishingly small.

Sure it's "safer" on land, but you would need to decide how much safety you're willing to trade for how much living.

It's the OPs choice whether or not he dives.

Absolutely, and it needs to be an informed choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom