Are backplates and wings not for noobs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A BP/W can theoretically be used for OW but it depends greatly on who the instructor is whether or not it will work out. You should ask the instructor you'll be taking the class from whether or not it's okay.

And if the instructor says it's NOT ok, the whole process starts again because you need to find a different instructor.

:cool2:

I know an LDS that teaches new divers in B/P W and Harness systems from the very start of open water basics. There are instructors out there, like many said you just need to ask, and look.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend the BP and wing to a newbie.

The two main reasons are modularity and spreading weight over you back instead of concentrating it around your waist.

I personally went with the BP and wing set up for my first Bouyancy Compensator because I wanted to travel to warm water destinations and my local diving is coldwater. I started with a basic ss plate, harness and 45 lift wing, added a weighted single tank adapter. I was set for cold water. I bought a regular single tank adapter, I got by with the 45 wing, until I could afford the 18# wing I now have for warm water. I also eventually bought an aluminum plate and another harness. I now can mix and match what I have for pretty much any situation I encounter. If it is not the set up I need for an application, I also will only have to purchase another component to add to my collection.

Another point I will make, even though I didn't want to get into where this thread wandered, is if you indeed lose a bunch of weight, you will only need to readjust your harness instead of buying a whole new jacket style BC.

mY DOCTOR AND i talked about my cholesterol levels he said they where great infact better then alot of skinny people. I do not eat much red meat anymore no salt no surger.

Good to hear, have fun diving! I'm really surprised how this thread went, but nevertheless my recommendation is still the bp/w system. It's time to let this thread go.

hell will freeze over before I would waste my time reading anything to do with GUE/DIR,

I realize this is a bit of a hijack, but I'm very sad to see someone say this. Not because I think everybody ought to dive DIR, but because I think there is a ton to learn about diving, and what is written by any very experienced and thoughtful diver is worth reading. I have class manuals from TDI, NSS-CDS, NACD, NAUI and GUE, and I have gotten something out of reading each and every one of them.

New divers, don't close your minds! There are lots of smart people out there who have worthwhile things to say.

"There is none so blind as the man who refuses to see..."

Out of respect for the OP, I'll stop piling on you here.

You're very poetic... "the man who refuses to see", hmm, you are obviously talking about yourself here. Feel free to pile away... Then when you're done acting like a two year old and embarrassing yourself go back and reread this thread. Maybe something will click. The rest of us could only hope that your inability to to see beyond your narrow mind will shadow your ignorance.

New divers, don't close your minds! There are lots of smart people out there who have worthwhile things to say.

Just ignore them if they tell you your to big, heavy, fat, thin etc to dive!

As an Instructor I find that a BP/W and a steel backplate are a great combination and allow for future types of diving. The steel backplate distributes the weight across your back and allows for a more horizontal position in the water. Using the zeagle weight pockets that attach to many BPs are a great way to have a balanced OW rig for either salt or fresh water diving.

Hope this helps.

The shop i will get it done with does boat dives. What worrys me is with my bass boat i have trouble getting in it out of the water. I worry with all that gear unless there is a swimming platform i might have trouble getting in.
You know what? You are PAYING to take the OW class. Get the BP/W, get it adjusted to fit and just show up with it. You are the customer, end of discussion. If the instructor is incapable of teaching you to dive just because you have a BP/W, get another instructor. There are literally THOUSANDS of instructors. Far more than the sport could ever use. Someone will be qualified, capable and willing.

In fact, consider taking the class privately or with just your dad. Sure, it will cost a little more but the training will be more individualized. Classes for juniors are frequently one-on-one and the cost is $400 versus about $170. It's more but, in SCUBA dollars, insignificant.

A 'boat buck' describes the monetary unit when messing about with boats. It's actual dollar value is $1000. So, if you spent 5 'boat bucks' on maintenance this year, it was really $5000. It's the same kind of thing with SCUBA dollars but it probably converts in units of $100. So, a private course is 4 SCUBA dollars versus 2 SCUBA dollars for the conventional approach. We use these virtual units to keep from crying about the real cost!

Consider doing the checkout dives from a boat. Sure, most courses probably include beach entries and boat dives may cost more but who cares? You are the customer! The instructor needs to make it work for you. Even if you have to charter a 6 pack boat for a couple of days, who cares? Organize your training to fit your needs.

You do not have to apologize for anything when you are the customer! Things are what they are. Go for it!

Richard

What worrys me is that with my size it will be nearly impossiable to try out differnt setups with out buying the bc itself... i might have to buy both then figure which i like and keep the other for local or say a back up
Go with the BP/W. I bought a jacket BC first and though I liked it, I went with a BP/W. Haven't used the jacket since and been trying to get rid of it.

...Go lose some more weight and come back to the sport (congrats on the weight you've already lost). Understand, I'm not hatin' on fat people (I'm carrying an extra 30-40lbs myself). But diving is a bit more physically strenuous than you might expect.
What IS the cut off in lbs. of being over weight for one's frame?

This is not true. Although morbid obesity is a significant risk factor for metabolic syndrome and for hypertension and cardiac disease, there are morbidly obese people (particularly young ones) who do not have any significant amount of any of those problems.

Has anybody looked at this guy's picture? He's young, and he's obese, but not nearly to the degree that one would think from reading "440 lbs". He's a BIG guy.

I deplore obesity, and as a physician, I'm more than well aware of the health consequences of it, but making blanket statements like the above benefits no one. If Big Tim is motivated to lose weight by the prospect of diving, that's a very positive thing. Perhaps diving will be a whole lifestyle changer for him!

Sparticle's opinion is his own, is not representative of any group of people.

Thanks, for a well stated post; and from one with Medical knowledge to boot.

Back
Top Bottom