Are backplates and wings not for noobs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i second mattboy's analysis.

bigtim, theres alot of guys at the dive shop i frequent who are bigger than you. they dont seen to have a problem, and they do advanced tech stuff as well. i think, equipment wise, you should be fine. your weight is your business, take it slow and if you feel uncomfortable, bag it. the same goes for me and im 5'11, 140 lbs.

Once again, you are kidding yourself.

I just don't understand why it's so hard for you to believe that a big person can be in good shape. I grew up in the land of farmers and loggers (I was both) and I know guys a heck of lot bigger than I am that are in awesome shape and I would put them up against anyone. Look at some of the linemen in pro football. You really shouldn't be so narrow-minded.

Waaaaaay off topic, but peopel are trying to help you as best they can.

I'm a big believer in people making informed choices about the risks of extreme sports. I don't care how PADI markets it, diving is an extreme sport. Therefore, I second the notion of taking about your body with your doctor.

I would also suggest you pay a lot of attention to the whole science of decompression. Most computers, tables, and forumulae for diving are based on people with a different physique than you have. Custom software can help you customize your own dives to your own physique. I personally would suggest you bone up on all the geeky talk about tissue compartments and gas exchange and become an expert in how things might be different for you than for whatever "ideal" diver was used to cut the tables you get from a standard agency.

That research may seem daunting, but it will provide you with the knowledge to make your own informed decision about what kinds of diving are right for you. I am not implying that diving is a good choice for you or a bad choice. I am simply suggesting that you make that choice with your eyes wide open.

FWIW, there is a forum right here on ScubaBoard dedicated to answering questions abut decompression. You may think "I do no-deco dives," but that is not true, all dives are deco dives, it's just that for some dives, rising at a certain ascent rate is sufficient decompression and you don't need to stop in certain places. Or for some dives, the risk of not decompresssing is considered acceptably low.

So, do not be intimidated by the word "decompression." Ask a few questions on SB, read some books, buy some software, "immerse" yourself in the subject of decompression and human physiology, then you will be able to decide whether and how to dive based on facts.

Good luck!!!

Regardless if you use a BC or B/P wing, you will need to learn to use either for the first time. Some BC's have intigrated weights and some don't, the same can be said about harnesses. I wished I had of known the difference before I started I would have gone right to the wing and Back plate. You go for what you think is best for you. Good Luck

Whether or not anyone is fit to dive is between them and their doctor.

Enough said - although hopefully the doctor has a good idea of the issues directly related to scuba diving, many don't.

You can't weigh 440lbs (or even 330lbs) and be "in pretty decent shape".

Don't kid yourselves. Someone that weighs that much is, in all likelihood, a heart attack waiting to happen while they're diving.

Well, if their cholesterol levels are good and stress tests show they're in good cardiovascular health, then I wouldn't call it "waiting to happen".

It's between him and his doctor - none of us on the internet are in any position to make an accurate medical observation.

I'm a big believer in people making informed choices about the risks of extreme sports. I don't care how PADI markets it, diving is an extreme sport. Therefore, I second the notion of taking about your body with your doctor.

I would also suggest you pay a lot of attention to the whole science of decompression. Most computers, tables, and forumulae for diving are based on people with a different physique than you have. Custom software can help you customize your own dives to your own physique. I personally would suggest you bone up on all the geeky talk about tissue compartments and gas exchange and become an expert in how things might be different for you than for whatever "ideal" diver was used to cut the tables you get from a standard agency.

That research may seem daunting, but it will provide you with the knowledge to make your own informed decision about what kinds of diving are right for you. I am not implying that diving is a good choice for you or a bad choice. I am simply suggesting that you make that choice with your eyes wide open.

FWIW, there is a forum right here on ScubaBoard dedicated to answering questions abut decompression. You may think "I do no-deco dives," but that is not true, all dives are deco dives, it's just that for some dives, rising at a certain ascent rate is sufficient decompression and you don't need to stop in certain places. Or for some dives, the risk of not decompresssing is considered acceptably low.

So, do not be intimidated by the word "decompression." Ask a few questions on SB, read some books, buy some software, "immerse" yourself in the subject of decompression and human physiology, then you will be able to decide whether and how to dive based on facts.

Good luck!!!

What the ? why should he study Deco procedures would have thought he should get the basic OW cert first, think maybe you been reading to many DIR posts, you sound like a DIR wannabe to me.:)

Last edited:

Good luck!!!

What the ? why should he study Deco procedures would have thought he should get the basic OW cert first, which limits him to NDL dives max 60ft. Me thinks maybe you been reading to many DIR posts you sound like a DIR wannabe to me.:)

Big Diver guy I say go for it if the Doc clears you, like others have said I have seen some large divers myself that are excellent in the water with superior buoyancy and trim skills definitely as good as their smaller counterparts!

I just don't understand why it's so hard for you to believe that a big person can be in good shape. I grew up in the land of farmers and loggers (I was both) and I know guys a heck of lot bigger than I am that are in awesome shape and I would put them up against anyone. Look at some of the linemen in pro football. You really shouldn't be so narrow-minded.

Physical strength does not necessarily prove good cardio-vascular health.

Ever SEEN a pro-lineman? They train for short quick bursts of energy...just because they can do that doesn't mean they have any kind of endurance.

Yes and my bet would be a pro lineman would be quite capable of recreational diving, although his SAC rate could be on the hi side, no pun intended

Originally Posted by SparticleBrane
You can't weigh 440lbs (or even 330lbs) and be "in pretty decent shape".

Don't kid yourselves. Someone that weighs that much is, in all likelihood, a heart attack waiting to happen while they're diving.

You know the guy came here to ask about BCD, what gives you the right to go on about his weight and if he should be diving. Thats up to him and his doctor. Grow the hell up! Great way to behave in front of a new member of the board, is this what you want people to see, assume this boards all about. I have never been so disgusted with lack of respect to a person. Man you guys are just to into yourselves.

Back
Top Bottom