Are backplates and wings not for noobs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't weigh 440lbs (or even 330lbs) and be "in pretty decent shape".

Don't kid yourselves. Someone that weighs that much is, in all likelihood, a heart attack waiting to happen while they're diving.

So what's your problem? If someone is going to have a heart-attack, why would you care if it was during a dive or sitting in front of the TV?

Terry

We only know the OP's height and weight. He could be 3.6 foot wide across at the shoulders and be built like a brick *****house with a small beer belly. Would that make him obese? I don't think we have enough information to make that determination based soley on height and weight.

"There is none so blind as the man who refuses to see..."

Out of respect for the OP, I'll stop piling on you here.

What worrys me is that with my size it will be nearly impossiable to try out differnt setups with out buying the bc itself. Because i form what the diveshops i have talked with i will not rent one to fit me. So like most thing size determinded i might have to buy both then figure which i like and keep the other for local or say a back up
Hey bigtim,

Welcome to the board and to diving! I am an Instructor and 95% of my students end up in traditional jacket BCs for class. From reading I think you would fall into that 5%. I do encourage trying different gear before buying to ensure that both the fit and function are right for the diver.
I dive both BP/W and a back inflate BC so I am familiar with BP/W and would certainly discuss the pros and cons with students. In your particular case a BP/W would allow you almost unlimited flexibility in fit. If you continue to lose weight (nice job BTW!!) it is easy to adjust the harness to fit your smaller size.
YOU will be the ultimate determination for what is both comfortable and right for you. As others have said, try as much as possible. Jacket BCs are 'convenient', but you may end up finding a BP/W better. Or you may hate it. Better either way before you invest a ton in gear and then up putting it on eBay.

Good luck with your search and your OW class!!

Hank

I talked with a guy from scubatoys, HE said he weighed 485 at one time. He started diving at 435 5 pounds less then me. He is now 195 pounds.
I hate to be the one to say it: if you weigh 440lbs, you shouldn't be diving. Go lose some more weight and come back to the sport (congrats on the weight you've already lost). Understand, I'm not hatin' on fat people (I'm carrying an extra 30-40lbs myself). But diving is a bit more physically strenuous than you might expect.

Yes i did discuss my weight with the dive shop mainly because i figured i would not be able to use there bcs. They did not say it was a issue. I have had many a stress testes. No one has ever found trouble with my heart. I have my surger tested atleast every few months. It is not high and has not been high since i was 17. Only reason it was then was the 2 gallons of koolaid with 4 cups of surger i was drinking a day
I will discuss scuba diving with my doctor though i doubt he says anything but good things. Again i am not a normal obest person. ANd yes i am obest i am not indeniel about it. But i feel i am very active for someone my weight or eve 300 pounds.
Given the facts as stated by the OP, by definition that just ain't the case in this case.

If I were the instructor I would want a signed medical release from the OP's physician, even if he indicated "NO" on every question. In fact I would ask the OP to ensure the physician specifically initialed the sections on cardiovascular and metabolic diseases so that I could be sure that the physician actually read them.

If I was the OP's physician I'm pretty sure I'm not going to sign the release without a treadmill stress test and a full metabolic workup. Then I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to sign the form because it is quite literally impossible for a person who is 440lbs to present without detectable cardiovascular disease and/or a metabolic disorder - impaired glucose tolerance if not frank diabetes. The stress that morbid obesity places on the CV/MET systems is well known, and I'd have a tough time checking the box next to "I find no medical conditions that I consider incompatible with diving."

"Dr RJP, please explain to the jury and the family of the deceased why, despite incontrovertible evidence to the contrary, you cleared bigtim6656 for diving..."

Here's the PADI form, and I'm sure every other agency's is similar. Particularly note the sections on cardiovascular and metabolic disease:

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/forms/pdf/10063-Ver2-0.pdf

Tim - have you discussed your weight with the instructor/shop you'll be doing your course with? I'd hate for you to get down there and they turn you away at the last minute. Have you talked to your physician about scuba diving? You're looking at buying a lot of gear apparently - some of it custom - and I'd hate to see you do that and then not be able to use it.

Tim, this post is not "negativity" about your weight. It's about being prudent about your safety.

actuly when i walk through a normaly door which are around 36 inchs. i must turn not because of my gut but my wide shoulder. My feet are size 15 and legs are huge.Not fat mainly muscle. Infact i do not know anyone whos legs are as hard as mine. Heck i was leg pressing 800 pounds in the 6ht grade. Infact my name is still on the weight board at the score for the record leg press. I will get you guys a pic of me.
We only know the OP's height and weight. He could be 3.6 foot wide across at the shoulders and be built like a brick *****house with a small beer belly. Would that make him obese? I don't think we have enough information to make that determination based soley on height and weight.

actuly when i walk through a normaly door which are around 36 inchs. i must turn not because of my gut but my wide shoulder. My feet are size 15 and legs are huge.Not fat mainly muscle. Infact i do not know anyone whos legs are as hard as mine. Heck i was leg pressing 800 pounds in the 6ht grade. Infact my name is still on the weight board at the score for the record leg press. I will get you guys a pic of me.

Hi BigTim,

Know that the people who are commenting about your weight are doing so out of concern for your safety, not trying to bust on you.

I will be another one to recommend a BP and wing for you. There are lots of great quality choices to go with, but you won't go wrong with Tobin's stuff (Deep Sea Supply). Good luck and have fun.

To the people commenting on bigtim's plan to dive while overweight....I've seen plenty of dive professionals, people who are responsible for other people's safety in the water every day, show up at the shop at 8:00 AM and start chain smoking. I think we can all cut this guy some slack; from what I can tell he's realistic and serious about diving and his health.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom