Are all MK25s made equal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sean Walberg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Been starting to keep my eyes out for a used MK25 set, but am really unsure if there are major differences between the years. Reading up on these boards I know there were some parts changed but it seems that the regular maintenance will update those parts, or will they? If I pick up a 5ish year old MK25 is it functionally the same as a new one? Or are there years to avoid?

I also see that the MK20 can be upgraded to an MK25, so does that make it the same as a new one internally or is it still behind the times?

Thanks,

Sean

You might check with Beaver Divers in Denver and see if they have any of their rental/student MK25evo/s600's for sale. I bought a used set with a fresh service for 400ish and a almost new set for right at $500. Great shop to deal with.

Merry Christmas,
Jay

The newer Mk25s have increased freeze protection by way of a coating on the spring and additional internal parts for insulation. The actual working performance won't vary much throughout the years. If you're buying a Mk25 set that's less than 5 years old it'll be the EVO version and pretty much identical to a brand new reg anyway.

My personal favorite is the 2nd iteration of the Mk25 with the radiator fins and matte finish, but they're getting on in age at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom