Aquarena update, anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great program, hope it resumes soon.

Last edited:
Just checking in with this thread to see if anyone has any info about progress towards re-starting the volunteer diving program.

I spoke with someone involved with the Diving for Science Program about a month ago. I was informed that they were going to be planting grass and doing some other things, and that the volunteer program was going to resume shortly after that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This is on AC's Facebook page, (1) Aquarena Springs

Yes, the fence has been removed so hopefully the DFS program will be fully ramped up again. My best guess is Earth Day in April.

Spring Lake has reopened to limited diving. Available dive slots are very limited. If you contact AC, don't be surprised if you get turned down.

In the middle of January the dive coordinator contacted the top DFS volunteers to help get the lake ready for reopening. A lot of progress has been made to return the lake to a "presentable" condition. There is a lot more work to be done, especially in the Training Area.

Here are some of the changes.

First, you may only park in the north parking lot by the old hotel.

Second, you have the use of the restrooms in the new visitor center for changing. There are no other facilities for divers to use. Yes that means no pads or tables for gear, no showers and no lockers. You can leave your keys at the ticket office.

Third, you no longer have to print out your approval form and present it to the PIC. You check in at the ticket office in the new visitor center. The staff can tell you where you can get a yellow suit.

Fourth, the AC is does not have a working compressor to fill your tanks.

Fifth, at the current time, diving is only allowed on week days. No dives on Saturday or Sundays at this time.

Sixth, there is a limit on the number of divers in the lake. No, I have not been told what that number is. They seem to like a team of no more than four divers.

Seventh, expect to walk from the parking lot to either the ramp in the Training Area or the boat ramp by Deep Hole. Yes, that also means you walk back to the parking lot after your dive.

Eighth, the Training Area is closed to classes until the area is cleaned up. To date, over 4 tons of Coonstail has been removed. There is still a lot more on the bottom which cannot be successfully floated. In addition, the removal of the subs has spread a considerable quantity of silt across the site. This has to be removed prior to reopening. Finally, a boundary has to be established to separate the Training Area from parts of the lake requiring DFS certification.

Ninth, the "volcano" and "mushrooms" were moved out of the TA to an area just to the north. They are planning to reinstall them in the Training area.

On a final note, the AC staff is very glad to see volunteer divers returning to the lake. It was a close decision that allowed the program to continue.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom