Aquarena Springs - Scientific Diver - 9/10 & 9/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove in my 5mm with a hood in gloves since I brought it all. I did this because everyone else getting the the water that day were wearing 7mm with hooded vests and so forth. We did about a 55 minute dive or so and I never felt a chill once and was completely comfortable. I think we could have dove with quite a bit less now.

Later we went and snorkeled in the San Marcos river just past Spring lake dam and we just went in bathing suits. It was brisk, but we played around in there for a couple of hours.

It's all about you and where is your comfort zone. I wear a 3 mil, a bandana on my head, and 1.5 mil gloves. My hubby, on the other hand, wants to wear his dry suit. I dont think there is a correct answer. Just bring what you have and if you get cold bring thicker stuff next time.

do you get chilled in 68-70F water in a 3mm suit?

If yes, you need more thermal protection; if no, you will be fine.

I wore a drysuit/200 wt polartec and was comfortable. I've tried a 5mm, hood, gloves and wasn't overly warm by the end of a 77-min dive.

RumBum's advice is spot on I think. When I was planning for Aquarena Springs I was thinking "is 7mm the way to go?" kinda thoughts. I had no idea of what I needed and didn't know until I completed the dive that I could have used less.

blueeyes, is there any chance of doing a quick deep drop into a local lake to check or maybe borrowing/renting some thicker stuff from your LDS?

Like I mentioned, everyone getting into the water the day I was there were either putting on 7mm Hyperstretch suits or layering Gold Core hooded vests and things like that. I was thinking, "uh oh I didn't bring enough" but found it wasn't that bad for me personally. I think Bridget who runs the class says she dives in a 3mm suit and her husband goes in a 7mm and stuff. Just different for everyone I guess.

The hood can really make the difference between whether or no you wear a 3mm, 5mm, or 7mm suit. I used to dive Aquarena with 6.5mm full suit, but dropped to 5mm torso and 3mm legs/arms after wearing a 3mm beanie. The dropped neoprene shed some weight, and isn't nearly so bulky.

I see a lot of veteran divers opt for the 3mm full suit + hooded vest combo. It seems to be the configuration of choice. I'm sure one day I'll cave into peer pressure and lose my farmer john suit.

Thanks for all the advice!

The wife and I are heading to Balmorhea State Park this weekend, so that might give us a better idea of our relative tolerence....

Back
Top Bottom