Aquarena Springs - Scientific Diver - 9/10 & 9/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett, I am so glad you are going to do Aquarena! Don't worry too much about the tests, you'll do fine. And if you need to adjust your weights they are patient. You will be slightly more bouyant due to the calcium deposits in the water there. As for the fins on the ground, I found the only thing that really works for me is arching my back while diving; if you come up with a good solution let me know! I don't think I'll be able to be out there this weekend due to other plans but when you are a Scientific Diver just PM me and we can dive together in the springs!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will definitely PM you the next time I get down that way.

I plan on writing up some longwinded report when I get back as well to give a take on the Aquarena Springs from a newbie point of view :)

DANG! I just talked to Bridget and she said there are only 4 people signed up for the class and they need 6 to do it. So we may or may not be able to do the class this weekend.

If you know of two people out there on the fence about doing it, please let them know that now is a good time. The class will be a small one so probably more fun and visability for everyone.

RumBum:
As for the fins on the ground, I found the only thing that really works for me is arching my back while diving; if you come up with a good solution let me know!

I stick a couple of fingers in the sediment for "anchorage", and then twirl my fins in lazy circles to keep them up high. It's not an ideal solution, but it works most of the time.

Jarrett:
My GF and I are headed down to give this a whirl this weekend. As fairly newbie divers, I am not sure if we are ready or not :) Anyone else going there this weekend? Any tips for sucessfully passing the course? Thanks.

God knows I'm not the greatest diver in the world. I can float when I need to and I do my best not to kick up the Triasic layer of mud at the bottom of the lake. I'm not mentioning any names but just knowing the "level of skills" that some of the so called "Science Divers" do not possess I'd have to say anybody would probaby stand a good chance of being accepted into the program. Having said that I'm not painting with a wide brush. I know most of the divers are super controled and after all mud always settles in time.

I am also wanting to spend the weekend learning and diving the springs. Is there some place to find out the schedule? Do they have training available every weekend?

Jarrett I'm totally interested in doing the Scientific Diver course but I'm all tied up till mid October. So if you plan on doing it then let me know and I'll make plans.

We just got back from our trip. We met Bridget this weekend and she was very nice to us. She let us dive in the training area for a bit and practice on the skills that we will have to show when we do the class for real. If we were doing them correctly, they aren't nearly as tough as I imagined.

Dave, I'll definitely post before we head down there again. It will either be November for us or next spring sometime.

When I did the Scientific Diving course, I did it in December (2002). You would definitely need a 5mm then, but the water feels good, compared to the air temperature...lol :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom