Aqualung Titan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
I rented an Aqualung Titan this weekend and thought it a rather nice reg. What can you guys tell me about it? Pros and cons? My only reg criteria that is really important is that the reg not freeze.

Gidds:
I rented an Aqualung Titan this weekend and thought it a rather nice reg. What can you guys tell me about it? Pros and cons? My only reg criteria that is really important is that the reg not freeze.

Gidds, I used the Titan for my first 15 or 16 dives and it performed very well. I dive in cold water. I wound up buying the Aqualung Legend Supreme which I love. The Supreme is the cold water version of both regs. So if you're looking for a cold water reg, buy the Supreme model. IMHO both are very good cold water regs. So far the coldest temp I've dove with them is 42 F. I don't have anything bad to say about either reg.

Risking the scorn of many here on SB :wink: Scuba Diving November 2005 issue had a review of regs and the Titan scored very well.

The dive I did yesterday was in 42 degree water. I may have that magazine kicking around and before anybody laughs I got it from my neighbor who got it by mistake.

Gidds:
The dive I did yesterday was in 42 degree water. I may have that magazine kicking around and before anybody laughs I got it from my neighbor who got it by mistake.

I would go with the Supreme than. Another consideration is how the reg. breaths at depth, both the Titan and Legend perform very well at depth too.

They can laugh at me :D I like Suba Diving Magazine, I do take their reviews as one (of many) data points when making equipment decsions.

Edit: I should add that they are very easy breathing at depth and for me (big hands especially with my gloves) the venturi is very easy to access.

I use the titan (glacia) on cold and "deep" dives with water temps at around 3C (42ish fahrenheit?) and have had no problems...done a bunch of dives with it...breaths easy...

I think with most "decent" regs, as long as you don´t breath them on the surface when its cold, you´ll be ok...

In my classes, I use a combination of Titan & Oceanic Regs...Both have been great performerers...I have 2 Titans that I put on line in 1998...Never had an issue with the regs...The only failure I have had with these regs the first stage will begin leaking at the diagphagm...sometimes you can tweek the diaphragm nut and that will stop the leak...but it's time for an overhaul then...but again these are rare failures and the divers are not at risk...the leak is about the same as what you see on a Sherwood balancer

Joe

The titans are fine. The shop I work for uses them as rental regs. I do think upgrading to a Legend is a good idea but if a titan is all you can afford you won't be dissapointed.

We have had no problems with them freezing and the water is 43 degrees here now.

inbetween the Titan and the Legend is the Titan LX. While i have not used it, it has gotten excellent writeups and everyone i know who has one (and I have sold several) all love them.

A buddy got to dive Sherwood Brutes and Titans and noticed that the Titan was a nicer breather. He got the Titan. Take that with a grain of salt, the Brut is Sherwoods unbalanced rental workhorse not known for being too elegant.

Remember that you have almost another 10 degrees of temp drop still coming if you're going full season and deeper dives and hard work can stress a regulator, get the true cold water big brother.

The other question as I recall from looking at that line is do you want knobs to fiddle with?

I forget the models but if you look at the website you'll see the hierarchy.

Pete

I had a Titan LX and it was a good regulator. I had no problems with it, even in cold water. I did take it in 34 deg F water last winter and it was fine. I did replace my Titan with a Legend. The only reason why I went to the Legend was the amount of cold water diving I was doing plus I made the excuse my son need a regulator so I gave him my Titan and bought the Legend. I also read that some one mentioned the supreme for cold water is best. You can have the 2nd stage tuned for cold water, the only diferance between the surpreme and others is how the factory tunes the second stage plus the mouth piece with the lip guard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom