Aqualung Titan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubar:
I had a Titan LX and it was a good regulator. I had no problems with it, even in cold water. I did take it in 34 deg F water last winter and it was fine. I did replace my Titan with a Legend. The only reason why I went to the Legend was the amount of cold water diving I was doing plus I made the excuse my son need a regulator so I gave him my Titan and bought the Legend. I also read that some one mentioned the supreme for cold water is best. You can have the 2nd stage tuned for cold water, the only diferance between the surpreme and others is how the factory tunes the second stage plus the mouth piece with the lip guard.

Not sure about this.... I could be totally wrong (this happened once) but I thought a reg needed to be environmentally sealed in order to guarantee that it won't freeze. In that case, a Titan LX will not cut it.

FWIW, I own a Titan LX and love it. I have used my bro's MK25 and overall find it a better, more consistent breather... and the comfo-bite mouthpiece ROCKS especially if you have TMJ like me. The other thing is the waranty and replacement parts plan are superior to the othere regs I was comparing at the time including Scuba Pro, Sherwood and Zeagle. Can't remember all the pros & cons as it relates to the waranty but I know I get 6 years of replacement parts (for annual tunes). I did my homework at the time and the Titan LX was the best value and most imprtantly, I've actually been happy with it.

You are right, the Titan LX does not have a sealed first stage. The Titan LX Supreme does. All Legends are sealed and the only difference in the supreme is the lip guard and adjustment.

At least that was the case when I bought my Legend earlier this year. :)

crlavoie:
Not sure about this.... I could be totally wrong (this happened once) but I thought a reg needed to be environmentally sealed in order to guarantee that it won't freeze. In that case, a Titan LX will not cut it.

FWIW, I own a Titan LX and love it. I have used my bro's MK25 and overall find it a better, more consistent breather... and the comfo-bite mouthpiece ROCKS especially if you have TMJ like me. The other thing is the waranty and replacement parts plan are superior to the othere regs I was comparing at the time including Scuba Pro, Sherwood and Zeagle. Can't remember all the pros & cons as it relates to the waranty but I know I get 6 years of replacement parts (for annual tunes). I did my homework at the time and the Titan LX was the best value and most imprtantly, I've actually been happy with it.

I have the Titan LX and love it. Breathes very easy and has some easy to use adjustments. Good reg for the money.

If you want environmental seal to prevent freezing then it would be the Titan LX Supreme in the Titan line. I found that the price difference between this and the Legend (which are all sealed) was not that much. The price issue will be the Legend requires a balanced octo. You could go with a cheaper octo with the Titan LX if you feel that it wouldn't matter to you.

I use the Mares Abyss and have the Aqualung Titan on my pony. Since I practice with the pony every trip, I get to breath off the Titan and every time I am delighted at how well it breaths.

If you dive really cold water the more expensive Aqualungs may be better suited, but I really like the Titan and reccomended it to my brother for his first reg.

I dive with the Titan LX Supreme. It's a great reg. Easy breathing and has no trouble with cold water. I've personally dived with it in 6C. My LDC uses it as rental reg aswell for past 4 years. With roughly 25 of them in the school replaced every year that's a lot of regs and never seen a problem with them.

I have the titan lx supreme and absolutely love the reg set. I have never had a freeflow with it and have dove it to 131 feet fresh water and in 36F water. It breathes great at depth and at the surface. I had mine tuned to require more effort to breath but that is personal preference. For the money it is a great buy. I would order it as din though as you can get the din for the same price as the yoke with din adapter.

thanks eric

I have the Titan LX. I've dove under the ice in a local quarry and have been deep in Lakes Michigan and Superior without hard breathing or free flow. However, it does "moan" at times in cold water. I don't know if this is from the first or second stage. Sounds like it's coming from the second stage. Even though I like this reg a lot, I would get a reg with a sealed first stage if I had a need to purchase new.

I too have the Titan LX. I have it checked out once a year at the LDS. Never had any problems in the three years of using it.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Gidds:
I rented an Aqualung Titan this weekend and thought it a rather nice reg. What can you guys tell me about it? Pros and cons? My only reg criteria that is really important is that the reg not freeze.
Hey Gidds I can highly recommend the Titan. I bought a Titan LX about 5 years ago and have a couple hundred dives on it by now. Like you I dive mainly in New England so it gets its share of temps in the 50's, 40's and 30's. So far it has been super reliable performer and an easy breather at 30' or 120'. Never had any freeze up problems even when diving in 35 degree water and similar air temps. In fact I found out the hard way that it is almost bullet proof. Last summer I had it attached to my tank and the whole rig was, I thought, securely sitting on my tailgate. Unfortunately as I turned away from it to take off the rest of my gear the whole assembly fell off the tailgate hit the ground. BANG! Off came the LP hose and had to high tail it to Cape Ann Divers for a new hose. I should have had the reg checked right after but it seemed to be fine and did about another 30 dives on it before having its annual service. Well when the technician tried to dissassemble the 1st stage he had one hell of a time because when the reg hit the ground it knocked the body out of round. I guess thats the equivalent of having a head on collision in a car and still driving it around with the front end knocked out of line! LOL.
Both he and the rest of the shop crew where amazed that the reg still worked ....and that I hadn't killed myself using it!
So I learned 2 lessons there:
1. When you smash up your reg have it serviced immediately.
2. Buy Aqualung!
Theres my 2 cents worth, and I'll see you out at Cape Ann!!:05:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom