Aqualung Titan LX Supreme vs. Atomic B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm a new diver - just got certified a couple of months ago with less than 20 dives under my belt. I'm currently looking to gear up and for a BCD, I am seriously considering a DiveRite Travelpak (though I have never used a back inflator before). It appeals to me because it looks really streamlined rather than a jacket which to me was always a bit more clumsy.

For the reg, I'm considering the Aqualung Titan LX Supreme- what I like about it is the Auto Closure device & lighter weight since I envisage travelling quite a bit formy dives. The other option is the Atomic B2 reg with SS1. I've rread that Atomic makes really good regs but quite a number of forummers also report wheezing sounds with the Atomic. Also I'm not sure about using Air2 vs. a standard Octopus.

Any advice? By the way, I'm a 5'4" female.

Welcome to da board.

While an atomic user I have heard good reviews on the Titan. I think you would be happy with either. As for the secondary reg (aka octo). I would suggest the traditional octo - the Air2 while nice require that if in an OOA situation require that you breath from it while dumping air from your BCD and working with your buddy. While a skill that can be learned (which I did at one time) I think it is a PITA.

Back inflate BCD are great ...

Thanks. Any recommendations for back-inflate for women? So far, I've looks at DiveRite Travelpac and Seaquest Libra but don't know what else are out there.

A Closure D is bad.

Zeagle bcd is good.

I believe the Atomic reg is a piston type and if it is one disadvantage is that to get the same environmental protection as the Titan LX Supreme the environmental sealing is done with Christolube grease not a diaphragm like the Titan. It is a pain when you service the reg and have clean out the old grease and repack it with new grease, some shops charge extra if they have to do it.

Another vote to go with a standard octo. I got an SS1 when I bought my regs, on the advice of my LDS. I soon found that my heads movement was very restricted when using the SS1. I could not turn my head to the right, the mouthpiece always pulled in my mouth when I turned my head because of the corrugated hose and most important as Scared Silly said it seemed that it would be very difficult to manage the added task loading in an emergency situation. When I went to the standard Octo on a bungie I felt much more secure and at ease when using it compared to the SS1

As far as the BC look in to the Zeagle Express Tech BC it is inexpensive, very light, very modifiable to suite your needs, packs up very flat and is very comfortable and adjustable.

Good luck on finding the right equipment for you.

Unless you plan on diving in sub 45 F water temps the "supreme" part of the LX is not necessary.
The ACD is gimmick.....just replace the dust cap before dunking.

Claymore and FishPie have some good thoughts on the sealed reg issue (I did not realize the Supreme was sealed). The folks that I have heard about with the Titan I do not believe have the Supreme which as said unless you plan to dive in cold water it is not necessary to have sealed. I will also agree the Atomics that are sealed are a mess to service (I do the service on mine and two are sealed). They are sealed because they are for deco and see 100% O2.

All that aside look at the unsealed version of any reg and save yourself some money in the short term and long term.

As for the ACD - it is basically a one way valve that will let high pressure air through but not low pressure water (rinse tank). As said just make sure the cap is on correctly.

Here is one thought for you why I like Atomic reg. Solid performing reg (often ranks very high on testing), easy to service, low profile second stage. But perhaps the biggest for me is that the design is a very solid design that has not changed much in the 15 or so years that they have been mfg.

I will second Claymore's thoughts on Zeagle. I think they make some very good back inflate BCDs. We have owned several and have liked them. Another option if you want a back inflate BCD is to look at a backplate and wing. I think Deep Sea Supply makes some very nice rigs. If you do search you will find lots of discussion about the pro's and con's of back plate systems.

I have been diving a set of AL Titan LX Supreme regs for about 150 dives to date, I also have a older set I use in the pool and they were well used prior to seeing the pool. I have only good things to say about them...easy to breath and no problems ever. I get them serviced every year though so that helps.
Up here we need the supreme because the water is always cold but you don't need the sealed version down south, I would get the sealed one if you dive in temperate water though, never know when you will hit a nice thermocline down deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom