Titan vs MK10 as everyday warmwater workhorse

Workhorse warmwater regulator

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mik3ydll

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I'm looking to work as an instructor soon (full-time warm-water) and after getting a bit deeper into the technical side of regs etc. I'm wondering if it would make sense to get a cheap (~55€) used Scubapro MK10 (+R190) set instead of my current Aqualung Titan LX (pre 2008 model, bought new) for that.
My main concern is maintenance, as the MK10 is a Piston reg vs Titan being environmentally sealed Diaphragm. I would be able to DIY service the MK10, but I guess the Titan won't be too difficult either.

Maybe I'm just looking for reasons to justify buying more stuff as well as "preparing" for tec-diving which is another thing I'd like to get into eventually.

Looking forward to hear all opinions, as well as any (bad) experiences with the MK10/Titan.

Thanks

You have probably checked into this but if your teaching is with a particular shop, they may want you to dive brands that they sell. Just as another decision point.

Titans are easy to service and so is the MK10. You have sealed reg and that will come in very handy if the water has lots of particulate. I would spend the 60 bucks on service kit for the (sealed) Titan instead of getting an (unsealed) MK10

You have probably checked into this but if your teaching is with a particular shop, they may want you to dive brands that they sell. Just as another decision point.
thx, but no that's nothing I'm considering for now as I'm not yet with any particular shop. Also I haven't seen that yet in the parts of the world where I'm considering to be working SEA, Oceania.

Titans are easy to service and so is the MK10. You have sealed reg and that will come in very handy if the water has lots of particulate. I would spend the 60 bucks on service kit for the (sealed) Titan instead of getting an (unsealed) MK10
true, didn't really consider that.
Seas are unfortunately getting dirtier so that will make a difference, especially with limited rinsing possibilities

DIY on either is easy, the MK-10 maybe a little easier but nothing major.
The only special tool you really need for the MK-10 is a bullet tool as opposed to a HP assembly tool for the Titan....you can assemble them without it but its a pain to do so.
My personal preference is for diaphragm regs. They are more tolerant of poor cleaning and all of the major components are sealed against the environment (even the unsealed models) as opposed to both the major orings in the MK-10 being subject to direct contact with seawater.
That said, properly maintained, either will serve you well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom