Aqualung SolAfx 8/7mm Semi-dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still unclear on how a semi-dry is any warmer than a wetsuit; just tighter I guess?

It's thick 8mm/7mm and has seals built into the arms and legs to limit water movement. The hyperstretch material and zip across the chest make this a great suit to get in and out of.

Last edited:
I used my SolAfx on a Lake Superior wreck dive last week. the water temp was 41 degrees. I did get cold but more so in the hands and feet using Henderson 5mm insta-dri gloves and boots. We did three dives, the first two were 27 minutes and the last one was 36 minutes. One of the divers in our group was wearing a scubapro 7mm suit and he got cold first and we ended each dive when he got cold. I will admit that I was cold but could have went longer.

The SolAfx as stated is 8mm in the torso and 7mm in the arms and legs. It has an attached hood and an inner dickie style neck seal as well as cuff seals on the wrists and ankles that help keep new water from circulating in and out of the wetsuit. It also has a dry suit style zipper across the chest for donning the suit. It is made of the aqua-flex material and is easy to put on and take off.

Overall I have been pleased with this suit.

Gaffer

I used my SolAfx on a Lake Superior wreck dive last week. the water temp was 41 degrees. I did get cold but more so in the hands and feet using Henderson 5mm insta-dri gloves and boots. We did three dives, the first two were 27 minutes and the last one was 36 minutes. One of the divers in our group was wearing a scubapro 7mm suit and he got cold first and we ended each dive when he got cold. I will admit that I was cold but could have went longer.

The SolAfx as stated is 8mm in the torso and 7mm in the arms and legs. It has an attached hood and an inner dickie style neck seal as well as cuff seals on the wrists and ankles that help keep new water from circulating in and out of the wetsuit. It also has a dry suit style zipper across the chest for donning the suit. It is made of the aqua-flex material and is easy to put on and take off.

Overall I have been pleased with this suit.

Gaffer

Don't get me wrong, I like the suit. Last week I made 3 dives over 60 minutes in 46 degree water. I was cold, but I only got miserable on the 82 minute dive. I felt better once I got closer to the surface where the water was 72 degrees. But as I said in a previous post, on longer dives (longer than 35 minutes), you need a dry suit. On shorter dives and in water above 60 degrees, the SolAFX does the job fine.

As you say, overall I am also pleased with this suit, but on longer dives, even in mid 50s, it gets cold.

Don't get me wrong, I like the suit. Last week I made 3 dives over 60 minutes in 46 degree water. I was cold, but I only got miserable on the 82 minute dive. I felt better once I got closer to the surface where the water was 72 degrees. But as I said in a previous post, on longer dives (longer than 35 minutes), you need a dry suit. On shorter dives and in water above 60 degrees, the SolAFX does the job fine.

As you say, overall I am also pleased with this suit, but on longer dives, even in mid 50s, it gets cold.

I agree with you Jim. I just cant justify the cost of a drysuit based on the frequency of my Lake Superior dives. The SolAfx fit the bill for me as I needed the a thick easy to don wetsuit. Just will need to keep those cold dives short!

Gaffer

price ranges you've found for the Solafx?

my Local guy wants $450 for one... I think we're gonna have to work something out...

I paid $450 for mine. Compared to a drysuit that is a bargain. Aqualung controls pricing and I would be surprised if you can do better than that.

Gaffer

price ranges you've found for the Solafx?

my Local guy wants $450 for one... I think we're gonna have to work something out...

Ok... I've made a mistake... I was getting the AquaFlex SolaFx confused... the AquaFlex is almost Half the price of the SolaFx, a different suit entirely...

Looks like the only thing to "work out" is how I'm gonna save $450 :)

Hi!
I purchased the Aqualung SolaFx 8/7 last week and have done 4 dives in it with bottom temps hitting 50F. I was completely warm and almost completely dry. I live in Southern California and had given up on winter diving because no matter what I wear, I am always freezing. Not anymore!
I don't know how you will do in 40F temps, it depends how easily you get cold. I get cold in 85F water, so the fact that I'm diving in 50F water comfortably in this wetsuit might help you with your decision. I have a local dive shop that is selling them for less than others due to the recession. If you would like their info, you can Email me at quilafizz@aol.com. They ship.
Stay warm!
Quila

Gaffer , my friend bought a Solaflex the same time I got a Pinnacle X-Treme. Both 8 / 7 We dove them through the ice here in WI I had to bail because of cold. That was the only dive I made with the X-Treme as the zipper failed on the next one . He said he was comfy and we had done a 40 min dive

I would like to place some input:

I'm a California diver and ventured into purchasing the best wetsuit money could buy when I first got certified. I went with Pinnacle's Merino 7mm jumpersuit with 3mm heated torso, 7mm hooded vest, 6mm booties, 4mm gloves...

So I had 13mm in the chest, 10 min in groin/buttocks, 7mm arms legs, 6 feet, 4mm gloves...

I could do three dives in 48 degree's for 45 min each dive... First dive, no problem, just the hands would get cold towards the last 15 min of dive... Dive two, hands enter cold and stay cold and the arms start to feel cold in between the dives... Dive three, have to cut the dive short at 30 min because arms and legs start to get cold and then the hands are gone and miserable, feet also start to get cold...

Chest and groin/buttocks area always stayed toasty and even the head stayed nice and warm, if it wasn't for the hands, arms and feet I could continue the dive...

Also not many have mentioned compression of the suits. Since I purchased the Merino Elastiprene suit much similiar to the SolaFx neoprene, very comfortable, it would compress much more than your standard rough neoprene at depth.

This would make for a very cold dive down at 100 feet, I would start to feel the cold at 70 feet, as I ascend I could feel the suit becomming thicker and give me more protection in warmth.

I took my wetsuit to 55 dives before I had to get a Drysuit which is a whole different ball park... I miss the freedom and ease of putting on a wetsuit and diving, the drysuit has so much bulk and tons of drag, it's not meant for speed...

MG

Back
Top Bottom