Aqualung SolAfx 8/7mm Semi-dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

old gaffer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Scubaboarders.

Was wondering if anyone has tried this wetsuit. I ordered one today. I can't justify the cost of a dry suit but I wanted to go to a one piece instead of the Deep See Shorty with Farmer John that I have now. I found that Aqualung is a little more generous in the cut for the less non-Adonis shaped folks such as myself! Despite that I still had to go to an XXL which fits me prefect in the legs hips and lower torso but is a little too long as well as a little too big in the upper torso. I also tried on an XL and that was a feat of engineering for me to get into and I looked like the little brother in the Christmas Story movie with my arms staight out from my sides and the blood circulation cut off!

If someone could give a report as to how it worked in cold water (40 to 50 degrees) please post!

Gaffer

my buddy just got one. he loves his a few weeks ago we did a40 min dive in 45 degrees he was fine. erk

Thanks erk! That is what I was hoping to hear. I have heard of some folks who use it in CA with water temps 50-60 degrees but that is not Lake Superior! So I was glad to hear of someone who has used it in the mid-forties and stayed warm.

Gaffer

my buddy just got one. he loves his a few weeks ago we did a40 min dive in 45 degrees he was fine. erk

That is good news since I am planning to use mine in the Atlantic off the coast of New Jersey next month. I have used it in the springs and in the gulf in temperatures in the mid-50s and I have been toasty with it. The only thing is that it is very buoyant so you will need to increase your weight if you run your tanks down so you can stay down at 15 feet to do your last stop.

Well I used my SolAfx for the first time today on an Aquarium dive. 50 degree water temps and was toasty. Also used 2lbs less weight and was still a bit overweighted so I am glad to report that I will be using less weight than I did with my Deep See Farmer John with Shorty. Easy to get on and off as well.

Gaffer

I love my AquaLung SolAfx 8/7mm. Got it as a gift from a neigbor and it instantly replaced my Henderson Hyperstretch which just isn't as warm as the SolAfx for the same mm. I dive SoCal and the coldest waters I've encountered in the SolAfx was 49 @ 120ft ,mid-winter and I was just barely starting to notice it. All other temperatures and lessor depths I've not ever been uncomfortably cold and usually I'm toasty. But I'll have to return to my Henderson now that it is in the 60's because the SolAfx is way too warm for me in those temps.

Another thing to note, I have 8 dives logged on the Henderson in the past 1 year since I purchased it and it is already starting to look like it has 100 dives. Velcro warps it and it is very easily "dinked" if you brush against some reef in heavy surge.

The SolAfx has 60+ dives logged on it in the past 1 year since I started using it and it looks exactly like it did before its first dive despite the same types of dives as my henderson. Velcro doesn't marr it as easily (or much at all) compared to my Henderson. In addition, the more I dive my Henderson the more I notice it looses its warmth keeping abilities, I have not noticed any such thing with my SolAfx.

Thanks,
Shawn

Still unclear on how a semi-dry is any warmer than a wetsuit; just tighter I guess?

I used my SOLAFX in 46 degree water last week in the North Atlantic. After about 35 minutes, I was cold. I ordered a dry suit on Saturday. I'm still going to use my SolAFX in caves, but in water under 60 degrees, and longer dives, I'll be using my Pinnacle Evo II with merino lining.

Back
Top Bottom