Aqualung seaquest QD-I3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi regarding the back inflate/jacket querry:

i used to dive a black diamond(1995-2004) but i have changed my rig to the pro qd without the i3.
i feel more comfortable with a jacket and it affords me a lil more thermal protection than a back inflate. i also feel that a back inflates tendency for horizontal trim is a little oversold. i dive with both on a horizontal trim with no issues. and i believe that keeping horizontal is a function of skill and getting used to your gear, much more than the equipment's trim characteristics.
with the diving that i do (warm-water, tropical) a jacket works perfectly. if i were to switch between tropical and cold water diving ( drysuit), i would consider a bp/w setup however, for the configurability- and not the trim advantages.

I have used a Pro QD i3 for the last two and a half years. I was happy with it during this time. The i3 mechanism is very simple - I even opened it when it leaked a small bubble stream near the lever (it proved to be some sand that was causing it, I cleaned and lubricated the lever and it was fine for the next 1.5 years). The pockets are large, but stay clean when not containing anything. It deflated and inflated easily through the lever. The body fit was solid. Overall, for a jacket BC, I would say it was very good.

On the down side - I saw somebody breaking the shoulder buckle after two dives - which caused a 3 weeks return to the factory.

I have switched this year to a DSS BP/W, following the word of scubaboarders, and I am very happy. I would not return to jackets, but if you want a jacket, the Pro QD (with or without i3) is a very good one.

I like Vixtor was a pro advocate of the I3 for about two years... As far as jacket style BC goes, this one is well worth it's weight against any other in its class. In fact, I feel it beats out the others for simplicity and ease of use.

I used mine on the rugged California coast with no hangups except for a small trail of bubbles that began leaking out of the lever, sent it back to Aqualung, out one month and I got a new lever.

You will find that for beginner to intermediate diving this is in fact an awesome BC, but having said that as you progress in diving, you will eventually go BP/W simply because it's just more streamline.

I have found that less is better as you want to be as clean as a fish when gliding through the ocean. The BP/W gives you that comfort as you build it with what you want, nothing is placed on it that you don't want.

With time you will see and most certainly feel the difference in diving when you step outside the BCD and go BP/W.

Safe diving...

Mike Guerrero

I have a number of BP/Ws and an I3. For Rec diving I still use the I3. I like the large pockets and how fast you can dump air in any position. They have quite a bit of lift in the large sizes. Mine is XL which as over 60lbs of life. Allows me to rec dive AL80s independent doubles using a quick draw twins bracket on trips. This is a great setup. I find it has great horizontal trim even with double AL80s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom