Aqualung Petrel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They would probably better off it they could get Suunto to make an appropriate computer. Which would certainly seem doable. The issue isn't that they can't do it, the issue is that they won't.

They would probably better off it they could get Suunto to make an appropriate computer. Which would certainly seem doable. The issue isn't that they can't do it, the issue is that they won't.
I agree. Nothing in a Shearwater would be overly complicated to reproduce by an organization like Suunto. The algorithms are open source. Physical components are not made from unobtanium. What really sets them apart is the way they view and interact with their customers. And you don't buy or sell that. This company was started by tech divers making a better computer because everything in the market was not quite adequate.

This video might help paint a picture:

What really sets them apart is the way they view and interact with their customers.

Which is why SW doesn't need to worry about competition from Suunto, the latter of which is utterly clueless about that issue.

Which is also why when it's time to put my money down it will be on a shearwater.
I sold an X-1 to clear the way. :wink:

Suunto has tried to make a DC with OLED, well design is partly a matter of taste, I am not sure about the placement of the buttons and the wasted space around the display. Suunto EON Steel - Suunto But they do not offer any choice with algorithms :-(

As the Petrel's excellent color LCD screen proves, OLED-while still great-is no longer necessarily the zenith of clarity/brightness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom