Aqualung Leg3nd MBS or Atomic B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UV breakdown is not common with Atomics (unlike some Oceanics and some Zeagles, and the first generation Legends for that matter) but i see them from time to time.

There are some brands/models I work on that i have never seen an issue with.

Here are a couple of examples of Atomics that customers left behind when they bought a different reg. On the left, the purge cover disintegrated (the gray dust below) and on the right, the rubber trim peeled off the adjustment knob.

I dont want to bash Atomic -- they are fine regs and i would imagine they have corrected the issue -- but the OP asked for opinions and i am giving my observations.

Not doubting what you said but it may have been an uncommon issue or something that occurred for a brief period of time. I have several Atomic regulators and I have used them in the Middle East's brutal sun (UAE, Libya, Egypt) and never had an issue. I dive mostly from shore and I have to swim for a long distance usually to get to the drop point so my regulators, and other equipment are exposed to the sun more often in addition to sitting on the beach before and in between dives. The oldest Atomic regulator I use frequently is from early 2000's and the newest was bought in 2012 (I think). The newer Atomics bought after 2012 aren't used as much, mainly for training, but still used frequently enough in Libya's sun.

Here are a couple of examples of Atomics that customers left behind when they bought a different reg. On the left, the purge cover disintegrated (the gray dust below) and on the right, the rubber trim peeled off the adjustment knob.

I dont want to bash Atomic -- they are fine regs and i would imagine they have corrected the issue -- but the OP asked for opinions and i am giving my observations.

Seen the rubber trim on the adjustment knobs as well. Pretty common with that generation made some 15 years ago. Annoying but purely cosmetic. I just take a pick and remove al the rubber bits and install them back on the reg.

And as I noted above I have seen the purge covers go as well. Which is typically on the B1/Z1 series which at this point are well over 15 years old. I just tell folks to get a new color kit as part of the overhaul. Spiffs the reg right up and cheaper than buying a new reg.

So what you are seeing are part that after 15 years of use need some help. Not really uncommon on regs used frequently.

Atomic parts interchangeability is a big bonus. I put M1 exhaust Tees on my B2s.....

Both are good reliable regs.

With properly tuned seconds neither will noticeably outperform the other.

I like atomic regs but let's not pretend it's something else than a specced piston with an adjustable classic balanced s-wing poppet. The AFC works sure, but so does a manual venturi if it's correctly set.

The only reason i'd give atomic the Edge is the great lp seat material they use that is very durable and lasts longer than most other brands in combination with the seat Saver. Because of this the 2nd won't need retuning for a very long time and is more stable .

If I had to chose i'd dive the legend first with atomic second.

The legend firsts have a great track record when it comes to durability. The 'controversial' acd does make sure you won't get water in the first so it doesn't need service alot either, no matter the abuse you throw at it.

The only problem i have with the legend is the insane price bump it got from the 2018 version.

If you need certain hose routing the turret of the atomic is nicer though.

So yeah many plusses and little minusses on both regs.

Both are good reliable regs.

The Atomic is great and most reliable by design, they aren't the same at all.

I like atomic regs but let's not pretend it's something else than a specced piston with an adjustable classic balanced s-wing poppet. The AFC works sure, but so does a manual venturi if it's correctly set.

That's like saying: "I like Mercedes but it is still a classic car with combustion engine."

The AFC is far superior to the standard "manual" venturi adjustment. It breaths smoother, easier and "better."

The only reason i'd give atomic the Edge is the great lp seat material they use that is very durable and lasts longer than most other brands in combination with the seat Saver. Because of this the 2nd won't need retuning for a very long time and is more stable .

Doesn't this mean that it is very reliable, more than the others, while performing great? You can't belittle this part and make the regulator equal to the others. This statement is worth a lot of the money you pay to buy an Atomic.

If I had to chose i'd dive the legend first with atomic second.

Well, you can't do that in this case and this is not the optimum way to go about it. Unless, for an unknown reason, you end up with free AL first stage and Atomic second stage, it just isn't realistic or practical. You may very well have a difficult time finding somebody to service them both at the same time under the same roof.

If you need certain hose routing the turret of the atomic is nicer though.

Nicer, more convenient, better performing and much more reliable.

So yeah many plusses and little minusses on both regs.

What are the "minusses" for the Atomic again? There isn't at all, only "plusses" with lots of !!!!

(Just like saying that a Mercedes and a Lada both have "many plusses and little minusses on both"

once you start getting beyond the basic entry level, almost all regulators will perform very well and be more than enough performance for the vast majority of divers. go with deep 6 and save money instead. or just go with the atomic z2.

... Just like saying that a Mercedes and a Lada both have "many plusses and little minusses on both"
Actually, a closer comparison would be to say BMW and Audi both have "many plusses and little minusses on both"

Nobody is disputing that the Atomic is a great reg. As the latest evolution of Aqua Lung's Legend series, it is safe to expect that the Leg3nd is as well. Both are top tier regulators and both will serve the op well. For you to compare the Atomic to a Mercedes and the Leg3nd to a Lada shows either a total lack of knowledge or an inflated personal bias that is not founded in honesty.

I have been using my Aqua Lung Legend for more than 10 years. It still breathes incredibly easy, it is reliable (it has never failed me in that time frame) and I would not hesitate to recommend a current model Legend or "Leg3nd" to anyone looking for a high quality reg.

Actually, a closer comparison would be to say BMW and Audi both have "many plusses and little minusses on both"

Nobody is disputing that the Atomic is a great reg. As the latest evolution of Aqua Lung's Legend series, it is safe to expect that the Leg3nd is as well. Both are top tier regulators and both will serve the op well. For you to compare the Atomic to a Mercedes and the Leg3nd to a Lada shows either a total lack of knowledge or an inflated personal bias that is not founded in honesty.

I have been using my Aqua Lung Legend for more than 10 years. It still breathes incredibly easy, it is reliable (it has never failed me in that time frame) and I would not hesitate to recommend a current model Legend or "Leg3nd" to anyone looking for a high quality reg.

Actually, for me Atomic is a Rolls Royce, Scubapro is Mercedes, Apeks is Audi/BMW. AL is a Nissan or Toyota. I have owned and used AL for years and years and still own a couple now (trying to sell them). AL isn't "bad" and one won't go wrong with it but if it is a choice between Atomic and AL and the money difference isn't a factor, Atomic hands down, there is no reason to pick the AL over Atomic at all, none in this case. This is my point. If I can afford to buy a Rolls or a Mercedes, I would buy one before I would consider Nissan or Toyota.

considering the reliability track record of japanese cars vs the germans/english, that is a compliment for Aqualung. anybody who has driven a GT-R would not scoff at a nissan either.

Actually, for me Atomic is a Rolls Royce, Scubapro is Mercedes, Apeks is Audi/BMW. AL is a Nissan or Toyota. I have owned and used AL for years and years and still own a couple now (trying to sell them). AL isn't "bad" and one won't go wrong with it but if it is a choice between Atomic and AL and the money difference isn't a factor, Atomic hands down, there is no reason to pick the AL over Atomic at all, none in this case. This is my point. If I can afford to buy a Rolls or a Mercedes, I would buy one before I would consider Nissan or Toyota.

That's just personal preference. Calling a specced piston first a Rolls Royce is a stretch, but to each their own.

The 'Toyota' will take you anywhere you want and keep working.

Calling an atomic more reliable than an aqualung is pure marketing. Both models we are talking about have had 1 serious recall. The aqualung had An issue with the yoke acd closing shut. Atomic had An issue with springs cracking and sometimes breaking.

I don't mind the claim that Atomics are more reliable and better than AL, but i'd like to see some real evidence then.

Hose routing is only an issue if you're using sidemount or as a stage. The turret is also an extra failure Point (in theory, i do regard turrets as highly reliable if not overtorqued).

Cold water performance should be equal between both, only if you pick the sealed atomic.

Service is alot easier for the AL since you don't have to worry about the Christolube gunk.

Wob bench tests actually favor the AL over the Atomic, especially in the cracking pressure department.

What am I missing here except the durability on the lp seat material and seat Saver?

It's pretty clear you don't like aqualung. Which is fine but don't pretend Atomic is making a revolutionary product. They are making a solid product and so is AL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom