Aqualung Leg3nd MBS or Atomic B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BLee88

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am looking to get a new reg and have, at this time, narrowed it down to the Atomic B2 and the Aqualung Leg3nd MBS.

May I please get some detailed feedback on these two regs?

I do recreational tropical and California Coast (both north and south) diving and likely won't get much colder than ~50F.

Thank you!

Atomic B2 for sure, it isn't even close. The B2, or any Atomic, are the best performing and most reliable regulators out there. I'd get the sealed first stage version and you can go for 3 or more years without needing service and still perform like new.

This doesn't imply that the AL Leg3nd is bad, it is just that the B2 is far better with outstanding performance and reliability.

I like my Atomic because when I put it in my mouth it's the last time I think about it until the dive's over.
The Atomic wears a basic Legend as a safe second. I have a lot of confidence in either one.

I have an AL Legend, and I love it. It is easy breathing and reliable.

Based on my experience with the Legend, and others' experience with the B2, I would say that you would likely be happy with either reg. Both are exceptional and both would serve you well.

I haven't had my AL Leg3nd long, but I've been very happy with it so far.

Atomics are great breathers and very reliable but when you need service it is generally more expensive. They do not have as many dealer/service centers overseas so hopefully you dont need to get it serviced when traveling. In the past, i have seen the plastic get brittle and break down on some Atomic second stages but hopefully they have addressed that.

Aqualung Legend is also a great reg with good reliability and a sealed first stage (minor benefit IMO, as long as you rinse your regs). If you keep up on service you should get free parts for life on your reg but you are supposed to service it regularly, probably more often than it needs. AL has a pretty good network of dealers/service centers worldwide, should you need them.

Bottom line they are both great regs and you will be happy with either.

but when you need service it is generally more expensive

Not entirely accurate, the total cost of ownership and servicing is much less with Atomic since it is designed to be serviced much less frequently than other brands without losing warranty. One can go 3 - 5 years between servicing with the regulator performing like new yet your regulator is still covered by warranty.

hopefully you dont need to get it serviced when traveling.

I have owned Atomic regulators since the mid/late 90's and I have NEVER needed to have any of them serviced at all when I traveled anywhere in the world (and I have been to very remote and near locations in the world diving). As with any brand, if I had an issue with my regulator while traveling, the last thing I want is for somebody I don't know put their hands on my regulator to service them overseas. But, I never had to worry about this issue with my Atomics at all (I carry a spare Atomic just in case one of my traveling friends or clients had an issue with their regulator).

In the past, i have seen the plastic get brittle and break down on some Atomic second stages but hopefully they have addressed that.

I must have missed that with my many Atomic regulators, I have never had this issue at all. It is probably something that happened to few regulators and isn't an issue at all.

The AL is no junk regulator but the Atomic is simply at a much higher level in terms of performance, features, reliability and lower cost of ownership overall.

In the past, i have seen the plastic get brittle and break down on some Atomic second stages.

I have replaced a fair number of purge covers on regs that have come across my bench. I believe that is pretty common across all regs that see lots of use and are in the sun as the flexible plastic just does not last forever. That said, I have been using AA regs for decades now. I updated a couple of the second generation Ti regs for travel. What I like about AA regs is that all of their regs are all based on the same proven design. So when it comes to service and parts, one kit for all.

UV breakdown is not common with Atomics (unlike some Oceanics and some Zeagles, and the first generation Legends for that matter) but i see them from time to time.

There are some brands/models I work on that i have never seen an issue with.

Here are a couple of examples of Atomics that customers left behind when they bought a different reg. On the left, the purge cover disintegrated (the gray dust below) and on the right, the rubber trim peeled off the adjustment knob.

I dont want to bash Atomic -- they are fine regs and i would imagine they have corrected the issue -- but the OP asked for opinions and i am giving my observations.

Attachments

• 20200811_120119.jpg
    20200811_120119.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 160
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom