Aqualung fusion vs Bare trilam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, if you are shopping for a Bullet know what model year you are looking at:

Prior to 2016: Suit came with DryCore fabric, and was branded "Whites". Aqualung acquired Whites in 2015.

2016: Both DryCore and AirCore were available. Suit had removable neoprene pads in the lower legs and fore-arm areas. Gatortech fabric on high wear areas. Brass drysuit zipper.

2017: AirCore became standard. Suit still had removable neoprene pads in the lower legs and fore-arm areas. Gatortech fabric on high wear areas. Rapid-Zip skin standardized on AirCore. Brass drysuit zipper.

2018: Gatortech fabric on lower legs. Discontinued addition of removable padding in lower legs and fore-arm areas. BIG white Aqualung logo on shoulder. Rapid-Zip Skin. stitching in skin came in either white or blue. Si-tech QCS oval wrist and Necktite systems with silicone seals became standard. Brass drysuit zipper.

2019: Same as 2018 except introduction of plastic YKK zipper instead of brass zipper.

2020: introduction of color accent panels on the shoulders and calves

***if you are buying a pre-2019 model, be sure to check the tags in the core of the suit to ensure it states "Made in Canada". Some of the AirCore suits from prior to 2019 were made in a facility in Mexico and had problems with the seams developing leaks...I went a full season without problems but they eventual developed. Aqualung chose to replace suits under warranty if owners had issues but did not issue a recall or pull stock from store shelves, so some the "Made in Mexico" suits are still out there for sale at shops around the world.

-Z

Also, if you are shopping for a Bullet know what model year you are looking at:

Prior to 2016: Suit came with DryCore fabric, and was branded "Whites". Aqualung acquired Whites in 2015.

2016: Both DryCore and AirCore were available. Suit had removable neoprene pads in the lower legs and fore-arm areas. Gatortech fabric on high wear areas. Brass drysuit zipper.

2017: AirCore became standard. Suit still had removable neoprene pads in the lower legs and fore-arm areas. Gatortech fabric on high wear areas. Rapid-Zip skin standardized on AirCore. Brass drysuit zipper.

2018: Gatortech fabric on lower legs. Discontinued addition of removable padding in lower legs and fore-arm areas. BIG white Aqualung logo on shoulder. Rapid-Zip Skin. stitching in skin came in either white or blue. Si-tech QCS oval wrist and Necktite systems with silicone seals became standard. Brass drysuit zipper.

2019: Same as 2018 except introduction of plastic YKK zipper instead of brass zipper.

2020: introduction of color accent panels on the shoulders and calves

***if you are buying a pre-2019 model, be sure to check the tags in the core of the suit to ensure it states "Made in Canada". Some of the AirCore suits from prior to 2019 were made in a facility in Mexico and had problems with the seams developing leaks...I went a full season without problems but they eventual developed. Aqualung chose to replace suits under warranty if owners had issues but did not issue a recall or pull stock from store shelves, so some the "Made in Mexico" suits are still out there for sale at shops around the world.

-Z
@Zef has pretty much nailed it on the head. For what it is worth, I have a pre 2016 sport skin Whites that I purchased prior to 2016 and have been diving in regularly since then. I have hundreds of cold Pacific NW dives in it and it is just now starting to show some minor wear and tear (I am referring to the skin). The drysuit has been flawless and I have never experienced any leaks. I don't miss having pockets, personally. I prefer to attach what I need to my D-rings. I did purchase a Bullet Skin in 2017, because I found someone offering an unused one for $125. I removed my sport skin and put on the Bullet. That lasted for 1 dive and I removed the Bullet. It was so much heavier and more positively buoyant (requiring more lead) than the Sport skin, that the pros didn't outweigh the cons "for me". My sport skin has been incredibly reliable and durable.

Thanks for the advice. After all that I ended up going with the bullet anyway.

I was still on the fence when I visited my LDS, and the bullet was on clearance (2020 model, made in Canada) but I would need to wait for the sport. If the drying time becomes an issue I may revisit the sport skin.

I was also told that the Tech skin has been discontinued for 2021, so now only Sport and Bullet are available.

I have been diving a Fusion for about 10 years. It was a used rental with Sport skin which I later replaced with a Tech skin. Several of my dive buddies have replaced various models of Bare drysuits with Fusion Bullets because of how much they like my Fusion. I think the Tech is best skin and am disappointed if Aqualung is discontinuing it. But I am even more disappointed at the velco on fusion boots have been discontinued.

Thanks for the advice. After all that I ended up going with the bullet anyway.

I was still on the fence when I visited my LDS, and the bullet was on clearance (2020 model, made in Canada) but I would need to wait for the sport. If the drying time becomes an issue I may revisit the sport skin.
Good choice, I’d say. If you’re planning to move away from a jacket BCD in future, you’ll need those pockets, so you’ve got expansion room. I find the Bullet dries quickly enough if you bring it indoors and give it some ventilation. As long as the inside stays dry, I’m not too worried about the outside of the suit.

But I am even more disappointed at the velco on fusion boots have been discontinued.

I was planning to get these until I found out they were discontinued. I think I can get used to the more sturdy rock boots, but I was looking forward to having boots permanently attached to my suit as it's one less thing to remember when packing gear for the day.

I was planning to get these until I found out they were discontinued. I think I can get used to the more sturdy rock boots, but I was looking forward to having boots permanently attached to my suit as it's one less thing to remember when packing gear for the day.

What size foot are you. There are a couple of shops in my vicinity that are aqualung dealers that might still have some. You can also find them from time to time on ebay.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom