Aqualung fusion vs Bare trilam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to consider with the Fusion suit is evaporative cooling of the outer skin. The suit acts like a swamp cooler which is great on hot days but on a cool to cold day I find that I will get chilled between dives if I don't doff the upper half of the suit. I have never had this problem with my standard shell suit.
Edit to add this link, I'm not sure why it's not a sticky but it has some great info from people that actually have and dive various suits. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ex...st-worst-your-dry-suit.html?highlight=nex-gen
I haven't experienced that, but it does make sense. The Sport skin is much thinner and holds less water. so it will dry much quicker. So it will chill a bit faster, but for a much shorter period of time. The Bullet seems to hold water forever.

Just for accuracy, it was Aqua Lung that acquired Whites, although I'm not sure what the business arrangement is with Apeks since they do make the Kevlar version of the Fusion and supply the valves for Fusions.
http://www.aqualung.com/militaryandprofessional/press/whites_manufacturing_join_aqua_lung.pdf
Whites (at the time) switched from SiTech valves to Apeks valves soon after the acquisition by Aqualung, probably as soon as existing inventory and outstanding orders were depleted. Makes sense, they as they already owned Apeks, and I am guessing import costs were comparable since they were both coming from the EU.

Are the fusion air cores identical in all the models? Just asking cause during my reading one could buy the tech or rec model for $2000 and just add the bullet skin for $600 more. Instead of buying the bullet with air core for $2700?
I don't know the Canadian prices, but per US pricing yes you can buy a Sport suit, plus a Bullet replacement skin, and pay less than just buying a Bullet. I don't know why that is still the case for 2019, as I know it was pointed out to them last year.

The only thing to note is that in the past the Bullet model had its outer-skin attach around the main zipper via zippers and the lower tier models were attached via velcro. I don't know if it was the 2017 or 2018 model year but sometime in the last 2 years, Aqualung did away with the velcro attachment system around the main zipper and started using zippers to attach the skins around the main zipper.
There is still old stock out there that is velcro only...so if one is looking at purchasing a replacement skin this is something that needs to be asked about prior to purchase. DRIS currently stocks both the old (velcro) and new (zipper) type skins, just need to specify what is needed when ordering.
-Z
That was during the transition. When Aircore first came out, it was first changed only on the Bullet, and took another year or two before they also transitioned the Sport , the Tech, the Fit, and the Apeks Kevlar. For the five front zip models, the difference between velcro and zipper attachment is determined by whether it is an Aircore shell, or an earlier Drycore shell, regardless of which model. The Fusion ONE and Essence back zip models still use the Drycore shell, skins are not interchangeable with front zip.
Yes, replacing a skin on a Drycore front zip might soon become challenging. They are definitely not maintaining inventory and current production across all sizes and variations, but I think they do still have a complete size run available although not in all versions. I think they are taking a "wait and see" approach right now regarding whether or not to produce any more velcro replacement skins in the future.

Reactions: Zef
it used to be the sport drycore version didn't come with the SLT seals hence the price difference. seems to have changed with the aircore though.

I cant believe it took me so long to join scubaboard. All the information sharing and help is outstanding. Thanks again everyone for helping me out.

Reactions: OTF
Hi I am looking into something similar, an whites nexus vs fusion bullet drycore vs bare nex-gen. All 2xs (i am 5’2) and used. Any recommendations ?

Hi I am looking into something similar, an whites nexus vs fusion bullet drycore vs bare nex-gen. All 2xs (i am 5’2) and used. Any recommendations ?

If you are looking at Fusion bullet drycore, then you should be driving for a good bargain as the drycore version was phased out a few years ago by now. That does not mean they are not good suits but don't overpay for one.

-Z

If you are looking at Fusion bullet drycore, then you should be driving for a good bargain as the drycore version was phased out a few years ago by now. That does not mean they are not good suits but don't overpay for one.

-Z
Someone is selling new for 1k ?

Someone is selling new for 1k ?

To me that is a lot for a suit that is over 4 years old. The AirCore suits were introduced in 2016, from what I recall. The Bullet as the top of the line of the fusion suits would have been one of the first models to be switched over to the waterproof breathable fabric of the AirCore model suits.

I brand new 2020 model Fusion Bullet AirCore suit retails for 1600 euros where I am at....typically when making a purchase of that much money I receive a club member discount of about 15 to 20% off.

1600 Euros is roughly equal to 1900 dollars. With a 20% discount that would be roughly $1520US.

It does not make sense to me to spend $1000 for a suit that is 4-5 years old even if it has only been aging in someone's closet.

Just sayin'

-Z

Are the fusion air cores identical in all the models? Just asking cause during my reading one could buy the tech or rec model for $2000 and just add the bullet skin for $600 more. Instead of buying the bullet with air core for $2700?

As someone also in the market for a Bullet soon, is there any reason not to buy the sport and the bullet skin and then have the choice of either skin? Or even to buy the sport, see how it dives, and hold off on the bullet skin until I have decided whether the sport needs to be more durable (or I find myself wishing I had pockets).

As someone also in the market for a Bullet soon, is there any reason not to buy the sport and the bullet skin and then have the choice of either skin? Or even to buy the sport, see how it dives, and hold off on the bullet skin until I have decided whether the sport needs to be more durable (or I find myself wishing I had pockets).

Personally, I think that if one was to buy the suit with two skins, the tendency will be that one will remain on the suit and the other will be relatively unused....it is not difficult to remove the skin of the fusion but it is kind of a pain in the arse. The zippers at the chest area make things quick and easy but the velcro at the wrist and ankle is very tenacious, plus you will need to loosen the suits valves to remove/replace the skin. All in all, like I said, it is not difficult but is a bit time consuming especially if one has the fusion boots to attach as well. I know it is not something that I would be relishing to change frequently.

Pockets are useful, but they are like closets or drawers in one's house. I would bet that if you looked around your house that you would be hard pressed to find a drawer or closet that had absolutely nothing in it...just like those, pockets beg to have something carried in them, whether that "something" is useful or not is fairly subjective. I like the pockets on my bullet but I typically am only carrying a DSMB w/ spool in there and I am just as comfortable clipping these on to a harness waist D-ring like I do when I dive a wetsuit.

The pros of the lycra skin: it dries much faster
The cons of the lycra skin: no pockets

The pros of the neoprene skin: it has pockets, and will help minimize the air bubble in the suit a bit
The cons of the neoprene skin: it takes a long time to dry

I would change my bullet skin to a sport if I could find one inexpensive enough, and I don't see replacement skins for the rapid-zip system listed anywhere.

My ultimate recommendation would be to try suits with both skins if you can and then decide on one, the other, or both skins.

-Z

There is also the "Tech" skin. Less wear resistant, but lighter than the Bullet and has pockets. (Note: Unlike the Bullet, the Tech has no factory provision for supporting the pockets. I did a DIY version on my Tech with some bungee, hose, cordlocks, and some reinforcement patches.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom