AQ EPG (electronic pressure guage)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cliffdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone -
I'm looking at a deal my LDS is offering, a closeout special:
AQ Legend LX Supreme plus EPG for under $400.

Whoa! Really?

Yeah.

I'm going to check this out further. But, suppose it's worth it if only for the LX Supreme....

What about this EPG? Does anyone have one and a good number of dives on it who is willing to tell what their experience has been with it?

Why am I thinking I'll just take the LX Supreme and say No, Thanks to the EPG?

cliffdiver:
Why am I thinking I'll just take the LX Supreme and say No, Thanks to the EPG?

Good idea, stick with an analog SPG, there's no reason for an electronic one. That is a great price though.

Ben

I have one of the infamous EPG's that I got a couple years ago for the price of the rubber boot (they were obsolecent then). I thought it would go well in the console with my also nearly obsolecent matrix master computer. And hey, the price was right.

I do mostly cold water diving and quickly discovered that the EPG is a battery hog and will eventually die on you expectedly at depth when the batteries cold soak. The clock on the EPG aggravates the situation as it always runs and drains the batteries so even if you don't dive much, you still need to change the batteries every 3 months to avoid having them die on you if they get cold at depth. The EPG's low voltage indicator that would otherwise provide you with a pre-dive low battery warning is not set sufficiently high to allow for the effects of low temperature on battery voltage.

It has other potential issues as well. It is air integrated in a poorly done sort of way as it will give air time remaining at depth but, given that it is only an SPG and has no clue how deep it is or how long it has been there, it will give absolutley no consideration for the air required for ascent, deco, saftey stops etc. I never paid any attention to it for this reason, but it struck me as a potentially dangerous thing for a new diver who may not be aware of or fully consider it's limitations.

Other than that it had an impressive gee whiz factor, was fun to play with, was exceptionally accurate in its role as an SPG, and worked well with in its limitations as long as I made sure the batteries were fresh.

But to be honest I am surprised anyone is still selling these even on close out. (If they are not throwing them away they should at least be giving them away.) They are, all things considered, a potential hazard to their users, particularly if the user is a new diver or a diver who does not monitor their SPG frequently or who does not maintain adequate situational awareness as to his/her gas consumption and expected remaining gas supply.

....but I couldn't pass up the chance to pick up a Legend LX Supreme for $380, whether or not it came with some obsolete EPG. I picked it up today.

I am a relatively new diver, actually. I cannot imagine myself actually trusting this or any other "air time remaining" indicator anyway, so I figure I'll use this as nothing more than an SPG. I think I need a lot more experience before I'll have any good feeling about what reading an "air time remaining" indicator gives me. By that time, I gotta wonder, to what degree would I use or want to trust one anyway?

I've got a Mosquito on my wrist, so between that and this EPG I'm covered for now. I just need to figure out to what degree I want redundancy/backup. I appreciate the warning about the battery running out every few months.

Once I've got a few more dollars to spend I think I'll get a new console with an analog SPG. Or maybe a Cobra.

It's pretty clear the LDS was anxious and happy to unload this EPG. I think I made their day.

Oh, and DA, you say cold water... any tips as to just how cold the water can get before I see this effect on the EPG's battery that you've seen?

When we carried them they always came back flooded!! Save your cash!!

Hallmac

I encountered problems below 100' where the temps around here run from the upper 30's in late fall and early spring to mid to upper 40's in mid to late summer.

Back
Top Bottom