Approximate Taxi Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Illini_Fan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm headed out next month on the Cayman Aggressor. I know their rep will meet us at the airport, but the actual transportation to the harbor will be via taxi at each diver's expense. I'm just trying to get a rough idea of what cost range to expect, roughly how long is the cab ride and do GC taxis take USD, credit cards, other...

thanks

tom

The boat typically docks in the Georgetown harbor downtown near the cruise port. I found this on the caribya website - IDK how current it is. The Cayman Islands Taxis | Caribya!

$ 15.00 Owen Roberts International Airport to Downtown Georgetown

It seems about right - maybe a little low. All the taxis we used on GC were vans so maybe share with other pax on your boat? There;s not a lot of flights so you'll be on the same plane as a few. i'm sure the Aggressor greeter can help with that. - he'll be the guy in white with your name on a sign.

$15 sounds a bit low. Remember the taxi's will take US dollars, but will charge in CI, so whatever figure they give you, be prepared to add 25% if you're paying in USD. Some take cards, and some do not. If they do take cards, they actually radio your CC number in, so not the most secure system ever. Bring $40 USD in cash with you, and you'll be covered for most scenarios.

The taxi fares are largely a free-for all. When I first moved to the island a few years ago, it was out of control. From my house to the airport, (about 2 miles) I was once charged $45 CI. A few of my co-workers were just sharing taxi horror stories a few nights ago, and one of them was just short of outright robbery.

In the past year, taxi complaints have been somewhat addressed. It has been brought up at numerous Department of Tourism meetings I've attended, and it is a massive complaint from most tourists on the island. DOT has a lot of power here, since 75% of the GDP on this island is tourism and they know it. Recently, (anecdotally) it seems like the fares have become more reasonable and more standardized. I'm not sure if this has been the result of any rule enforcement, or if the drivers just collectively got their act together. I think there is also a fear on the taxi driver's parts, that Uber or Lyft will be allowed here now that AirBNB has been allowed.

Aggressor responded this morning via their Facebook page with:

"..the ride is usually 15 - 20 minutes and it will run you about $25-30. You will need to pay cash for this."

Back
Top Bottom