Appropriate exposure protection for NC wrecks in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those experienced eastcoast wreck divers out there, what type of exposure protection is adequate for wreck diving (within recreational limits) off of Morehead City/Beaufort, NC in early July? I'm taking my PADI wreck course and need to make sure that I bring along the correct suit.

A full 3mm should do unless you tend to chill easily, a hood is always useful. You will also want a pair of gloves. Rather than dive gloves I like the leather palmed type, water ski gloves work well or a inexpensive pair of light leather work gloves.
I would give serious consideration to seasick medication. Our boat rides are long and can get pretty rough. I can tell you it's no fun hanging over the rail for hours on end, seen many of dives, new and old that were a lovely shade of green (yea, me too on occasion :) )

i second herman. last july i used a 3mil john & jacket, and by august was in just the jacket.

I dove off OBX last summer and they had unusually colder water at that time. First 30' was warm, but then we hit the thermocline and were in the mid 50s. OBX gets the Labrador more directly than Morehead does, so it might not be the same there. But I've learned to come prepared for the worst. I had called a shop and was told water temps were in the high 70s, low 80s so I left the dry suit home. I ended up renting a 7mm wet suit for the 2nd day of diving.

I will put a second in on having some good seasick meds. There is nothing worse than being two shades of green before you get in the water. I consider myself pretty tolerant of seasickness, have spent a lot of time on boats, but East Coast waves can be pretty brutal and couple that with the diesel fumes............

Some wear a 3mm, some wear only skins...don't recommend...lotta stuff to get cut on and poked by...I've seen some divers wear a jump suit. Sometimes I will wear a 3mm and others a half mm. The water's really warm in July. You will experience some thermoclines, but they are not bad. Hatteras is a different story because you have two different currents and it can be very cold, but off of Cape Lookout it is very consistent. You can't go wrong just taking a 3mm. As far as the sea sick meds. I agree with dandrian...by the way...whaz up dandrian...I went diving on the U-352 and the Kurtz in February. There were 4 Marines on board. Three out of the 4 spent the trip from the sub to the Kurtz hanging over the rail. After the second dive...which they didn't make:) They spent the ride from the Kurtz to the dock...yep...hanging over the rail. Somedays it's like a lake but others...can you say roller coaster...

I have used 3mm both out of Moorehead City and Hatteras. Last 3 years, since I dirve down, I bring 7mm just in case but have yet to use it.

Of course you could do like "Captain Art "The Legend" Kirchner". He may wear a pair of swim trunks if there are females on board.

As it turns out I will be in Morehead the first weekend in May and I will let you know how the temps at the bottom are. Last report I heard was mid 60's. I'll use my 7mm for those temps.

David

we're going easter out of wilmington, so i'm sure temps will be reported!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom