Apollo Bio Pro- talk about controversy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wettek:
Hey guys.

I am currently using a set of Atomic splits, but am seriously thinking about a set of the Bios. Question though, do the XTs, have the same effect on air consumption as the standard Bios? I am concerned that being stiffer, they may use more air than the standards, and after shelling out $380 AUS, I will not notice any difference from my Atomics. Anybody reckon I'll notice a difference anyway? I do love my Atomics, but figure if I can drop my air consumption a bit more it's gotta be a good thing. Thanks.

wettek: The standard Atomic splits are quite stiff; about the same as the bio-fin XT's. IMHO you would not notice much difference in air consumption if you moved to the XT model. You may notice a difference in foot pocket comfort, a shorter blade etc.

The original bio-fin pro has the least resistance and normally gets the best marks for less effort and lower air consumption. If you are happy with your Atomics I might sugggest you stick with them. If you dive with a mate with a pair of bio-fin pro's maybe you could switch off and see what you think. In the meantime, you have a very good pair of fins.

wettek:
Hey guys.

I am currently using a set of Atomic splits, but am seriously thinking about a set of the Bios. Question though, do the XTs, have the same effect on air consumption as the standard Bios? I am concerned that being stiffer, they may use more air than the standards, and after shelling out $380 AUS, I will not notice any difference from my Atomics. Anybody reckon I'll notice a difference anyway? I do love my Atomics, but figure if I can drop my air consumption a bit more it's gotta be a good thing. Thanks.

Air consumption would seem to favor the standard, which is a good thing. I find that my sac rate is better with spits, but there is so much other "noise" from conditions and the type of dive, it is hard to tell.

I can tell you that after getting used to the sort of bicycle type kick, I am more than 20% faster than the best I can do with Jets. and they are the best fin I have ever used..

I have the original bio fins and love them. I have dove the cold (50's) waters of California, the warm waters of fiji and Hawaii in all types of conditions. I went to the bio fins as my calves were constantly cramping up near the end of my dives. I can proudly say that this has not been an issue since going with the Bio Fins about 3 years ago. I even forgot my booties when diving in hawaii one year and went without booties on an open heel fin, with no discomfort, they are that soft. My first set of fins were some Aqua lung Comp Pro's I still have them and the scars they left even with booties are now starting to fade 20 years later. I find that a lot of divemasters on the boat trips I take using the original bio fins, all claiming that they are the most comfortable fin they have ever owned.

Question for mdb while we're on the subject. When packing these babies, do I have to worry about them getting "warped" during travel. Id' like to pack them at the botttom of my duffel with BC's etc, on top of them. Although they're flat, there will be weight on them. Any problem with that?
PS- dying to try these out next week, first impression, cute as hell and uber comfortable in my living room. I'll post after getting them wet!

I have only one complaint about my Bio fins and that is that there are heavy (probably because they are natural rubber rather than plastic) and because they are heavy, it gives me another thing to gripe about as I am lugging my heavy dive bag through the airport! Other than that, they really do rock in all conditions. It is really true that when you and some friends are chasing after some interesting sea life you will always be swimming faster than your buddy/friends and it is significantly noticeable.

I have used them in current and all conditions and I don't know how people can say that they don't do well in current. It makes no sense to me, we are swimming in a water column and all our movement is relative to the water.

susan6868:
Question for mdb while we're on the subject. When packing these babies, do I have to worry about them getting "warped" during travel. Id' like to pack them at the botttom of my duffel with BC's etc, on top of them. Although they're flat, there will be weight on them. Any problem with that?
PS- dying to try these out next week, first impression, cute as hell and uber comfortable in my living room. I'll post after getting them wet!

susan6868: It would be best not to store your fins with heavier equipment on top. The foot pocket is the softest part of the fin. Some divers will stuff their dive boots into the foot pocket for transit. This helps keep the original oval shape. Hope you enjoy your diving.

Thanks MDB- needed a place to stuff my boots-that makes sense!

susan6868:

I had a similar concern but I found something that works for me. I lay my BC flat on the floor, facing up, spread out all cummberbunds, staps, etc. Lay a bio-fin on top of your BC making sure the bottom of it doesnt stick out the bottom of your bc. lay the other fin on top in the opposite direction. I usually put my wetsuit on top of that, mask to one side of the fins, flashlight to the other or gloves, depending on need. Then I close the BC, wrap it tight around the items I just layed down in the middle. Makes a nice tight package I can then put into a backpack style bag which is what I usually take going on a boat. Works well for any type of bag though. I also put my booties in the fins as well. This way they are flat in a package of BC and wetsuit either laying flat or upright (depending on bag) and nothing distorting their shape.

Ive got them, In yellow...Im "the guy with yellow fins" :D

I am in Belize and have been diving here over the past 3 months with the bio-fins. I really like them. They are soft and all I need is a light flutter kick.

Ive been taking lots of photos with them, and all I can say is split fins work just fine for this.

The "if I could do it all again" thing...humm...well i would probibaly get the XT's just for the "feel", But this is not a complaint!

Currents are not a problem at all, I dont know why people say they dont work well in currents, they do work quite well in currents.

one thing though, spring for the springs! My dive buddy gives me dirty looks as hes struggeling with his straps. All I do is insert foot, pull the spring straps on, smile and splash in! its the best! Im really glad I spent the extra $. It is well worth it.

good luck!
Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom