Apollo Bio Fins and Current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mistressmotorsports

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a pretty new diver and have been using Apollo black split fins for most of my 23 dives. I was pretty happy with them in local waters (SoCal, a little chilly but not much current.) This week I was in La Paz, and a couple of the dives were in some fairly stiff current. I found that no matter what technique, size of flutter, power in each kick, etc. that I tried, I could barely keep up with the other divers any time there was current. I could even see the other divers finning quite liesurely while I was basically running in the water. What do you guys think about this, is my problem technique or something to do with the way these fins work in current? The DM thought I should consider stiffer fins for current, I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for any help or advice.

Mike

Split fins are no good for current. You need a set of stiff fins. Split fins are easier to move through the water, but dont offer as much propultion.

When in my MSDT program, we did a "test" with various sets of fins. While swimming 100 feet, we found on average, it took 40 kick cycles to cover this distance with split fins, while rigid fins took only 20 or so.

Trim and streamline. Bio fins have a stiffer version called xt. But I have used all brands of split fins in current as well. they work fine if you kick small. The smaller the kick the better. You may move more but you won't cramp and you won't be winded. Last year went to Galapagos and chased whale sharks INTO THE CURRENT, no problems at all. the ecuadorian guides were wearing split atomic and scuba pro fins... not one of them wore a paddle fin.
Want more torque and force for pushing doubles or towing ? use paddle fins..Jet fins are my favorite. But, you better have the legs for it Have Fun

So, it may be that my kicks were too big? Since I was trying to keep up, I was trying to use bigger kicks, not more small kicks. Maybe I need to go find some current and do this again with smaller kicks.

I worried about this when I bought my Apollos about five years ago. So far it hasn't been a significant problem here in SoCal... even with some pretty good currents. Just do the "shallow" kick recommended by Hollywoodivers.

However I don't travel with the Bio-Fins since they are heavy. I take my original Aqualung Blades on trips.

The problem with the Bios is that they are pretty soft. I've had much better luck with SP Twin Jets.

Jack

I used the Apollo XTs.

They work nicely in current though i am never at the head of the pack. I increase my kick cycles instead of using a wider kick.

I do believe the Apollos are efficient. Maybe instead of seeing where you are in regards to the group, compare air consumption at the end of the dive. That might give a clearer picture.

Tienuts:
Split fins are no good for current. You need a set of stiff fins. Split fins are easier to move through the water, but dont offer as much propultion.

When in my MSDT program, we did a "test" with various sets of fins. While swimming 100 feet, we found on average, it took 40 kick cycles to cover this distance with split fins, while rigid fins took only 20 or so.

The urban myth of splits not being good in currents is just that, a myth.

A quick review of the physics of free body motion in water will confirm that if a fin is the fastest in still water, it will be the fastest in a current.

Kick cycle tests prove nothing about a fin's efficiency and top speed. All they show is that split fins require a different kick technique to operate in an optimum way. Take a look here for a discussion on technique for split fins.

Back
Top Bottom