Apollo Bio fin quality issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkLover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Late last year I purchased from my LDS a set of Apollo Bio fins with the SS spring straps. Last week I had week long dive trip in Palau and at the end of the trip I had rust on almost all of the screws that attach the straps to the fins (see attached). This was new to the LDS that I work with in Texas.

I see this is as an isolated quality issue. However, what assurance do I have that a replacement set of fins isn't going to
the same problem? I would be happy with a new set of known stainless steel screws. I would be interested if anyone is seeing what I am seeing. My guess is that Apollo knows about this....I hope

Dave

Attachments

• bio_scr_rusting.jpg
    bio_scr_rusting.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 373
Dave,

I have had the same fins for about 1.5 years now and have not had any issues with rust. Sounds like it was a slip up in QA and I would guess that a new replacement set would be fine.

Hope this helps.

SR

Dave:

We have seen a few instances of rusting on the stainless M4 (ISO) 10mm screws. The screws are, of course, stain less not stain proof and they could show some rusting if not rinsed with fresh water after salt water use.

I checked this AM with several shop owners and some told me that after several years of use in training and open water diving they were not experiencing problems.

Replacement screws are available @ a discount to original owners. Please contact us via phone or e-mail for more assistance. Phone # 800.231.0909
e-mail: apollous@mac.com

Dave:

We have seen a few instances of rusting on the stainless M4 (ISO) 10mm screws. The screws are, of course, stain less not stain proof and they could show some rusting if not rinsed with fresh water after salt water use.

I checked this AM with several shop owners and some told me that after several years of use in training and open water diving they were not experiencing problems.

Replacement screws are available @ a discount to original owners. Please contact us via phone or e-mail for more assistance. Phone # 800.231.0909
e-mail: apollous@mac.com

I spoke with Monika and she is going to take care me, thanks for your help, dave

I too have had the same surface rust appear . I rinse in fresh water after every dive . It comes off with silicone spray. They are the easiest to use fin straps Ive ever used so its worth the extra maintenance.

I have about 185 dives on my bio-fins and so far no rust. Our company does a lot of design work with corrosion resistant steel, the less common name for stainless, and a lot of site inspections. We see light corrosion and staining on almost every stainless steel installation.

I discovered something much worse than the aesthetic staining. I have a set of Pro-C fins that worked well for 45 dives. Then one of the loops broke when I was removing the fins after a dive. I have purchased replacement heel straps but discovered that six out of eight screws are rusted tight and the phillips head screws have been stripped. I now have to extract the screws using a screw extractor. Problem is the screw extractor broke off in the very first screw because it is so tight. I soaked them in Coca-Cola first to try and loosen the screws, that's probably why I was able to remove 2 without damage (they were quite rusty).

Word to the wise, don't just rinse or even soak the Biofins in fresh water after diving and assume that is sufficient (That's what I did). Disassemble them periodically to ensure the screws don't rust. Wish me luck on my screw extraction.

WD 40, PB Blaster or any penetrating oil. There are a lot of products that you spray on, let it absorb and the extract. They work amazingly well.

Back
Top Bottom