Apocalypto....I am now officially "Violenced OUT"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just watched that one too. No wonder I'm exhausted.

When did movies get so graphic?

It seems like it is the new thing all of a sudden.

I liked the ethnic beauty of the actors in Apocalypto....it was really an eye-fest. The tattoos and jewelry had me mesmerized. Now, I want a slave bracelet.

Oh lord, I watched Eastern Promises last night...that movie was awesome! Viggo was so good, but I did not like seeing him naked. I thought I would, but I didn't. Who knew he was such a skinny little dude! I'm returning it today, I guess I have to go get Apocolypto now. I don't mind the violence as long as it's integral to the plot. Movies like Departed, No Country for Old Men, Eastern Promises, I could watch all day, just not a fan of the slasher flicks.

lol

it WAS his LUCKY day, wasn't it? (the eclipse timing)

thanks, Rick. So, were the ships the Conquistadors? I am weak with history.

Viggo was so good, but I did not like seeing him naked.
me neither...I'll never see him the same again.

For me it’s always the story. If it’s believable and accurate, well written and well acted then the violence may make sense. Apocalypto was violent and graphic, but for me the story was too thin. Since the plot was so thin they had to spice it up with graphic violence.

I also liked 300. Good story, well acted.

Oh lord, I watched Eastern Promises last night...that movie was awesome! Viggo was so good, but I did not like seeing him naked. I thought I would, but I didn't. Who knew he was such a skinny little dude! I'm returning it today, I guess I have to go get Apocolypto now. I don't mind the violence as long as it's integral to the plot. Movies like Departed, No Country for Old Men, Eastern Promises, I could watch all day, just not a fan of the slasher flicks.
No Country for Old Men was fabulous ('cept for the end... it sucked Lake Lanier water....). And, what was Tommy Lee Jones in that movie? What a waste of talent...

No Country for Old Men was fabulous ('cept for the end... it sucked Lake Lanier water....). And, what was Tommy Lee Jones in that movie? What a waste of talent...

watched it last week, too. i do not like the way it ended- i guess i am still all for the "good guys finished last" mentality.

amen to the TLJ comment. it wasn't really an interesting role for a veteran like him.

lol

me neither...I'll never see him the same again.

Yeah... I wasn't too thrilled about seeing Harvey Keitel in "The Piano" like that, either. My poor eyeholes felt abused after that one. :11:

lol

Solar eclipse happens at the new moon; full moon is about 15 days later. The ship was Spanish; Spanish explorer/conquerers of the 16th century were dubbed Conquistadors, so, yes, I think they'd qualify.
I'm a pretty awful filmwatcher, as my BS meter gets pegged with gross historical inaccuracies, errors in physics or physiology or astronomical impossibilities, and I can't help saying something about it. When Top Gun came out the Lovely Young Kat & I went to see it in Garmisch-Partenkirchen... about halfway through the movie she elbowed me in the side and whispered "if you say bull**** one more time this coke's going down your back!"
:D
Rick

Rick, I’m the same way when it comes to historical inaccuracies, physical impossibilities or just too stupid to believe. The only difference is I try to enjoy the movie – during the movie. However, after the movie, on my way to the car I end up dissecting it. It drives my lovely bride crazy.

What I can't understand is that people are so disgusted at Appocolypto and Passion, yet movies like SAW, Hostel, and others of the like are so damn popular. I am more shocked that someone has the mind to think that crap up than someone like Mel has the guts to show historical facts in a true (albeit gruesome) manner.

I agree. I'm a real movie freak (what else, besides diving and editing, would one do to keep entertained... and sober... out here on this "isolated" island?) so I watch a large number of movies. I saw both "Apocalypto" and "The Passion" (not to mention "We Were Soldiers") but I've never even considered SAW or Hostel.

amen to the TLJ comment. it wasn't really an interesting role for a veteran like him.

Speaking of Tommy Lee Jones, anyone reading this thread know what his first movie role was? I saw it about a year after he and I graduated from Harvard... and was only aware it was him because he was a classmate (and Al Gore's roommate).

Back
Top Bottom