Apocalypto....I am now officially "Violenced OUT"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent 26 years on active duty and have been a contractor for 12 years. I am certainly not overpaid and I'm not allowed to carry my pistol when I go to work on base. I work with a great bunch of active duty guys and if they despise me they never told me. Most come to my house for parties and I go to theirs. We also go out and have some drinks at times. /QUOTE]

I apologize Tom. I used a broad brush that obviously does not include you and the good work you are doing.

Catherine; When I returned from Vietnam the Marine Corps was starting to downsize after the high manning levels of the mid and late '60's. The corps was quickly releasing the first term enlisted Marines returning from Vietnam so they could make room for new recruits.

As junior officers we actually worked to provide some sort of post RVN counseling since we knew that taking someone from 11 months and 20 days of combat and putting them back on a street corner in Philadelphia was a recipe for disaster, as it proved to be.

Of course it was not "criminal" in the literal sense. I meant it in this definition: "Shameful; disgraceful: a criminal waste of talent."

Having your love and concern will be of great help to your Marine.

I have been married to the same gal for over 35 years. She has put up with flashbacks and other behavior that some would not.

Once during an early morning earthquake, when we were living in Redondo Beach, I came awake thinking we were being mortared, I threw Judy out of bed and jumped on top of her, I thought she was my Radio Operator; when I came fully awake I realized what was actually going on.

I'm sorry to hear that JB currently does not want to dive. For me the peace and quiet of the ocean was great therapy.

Uncle Ricky: Thanks for your explanations.

All the best to all the vets, and their loved ones, who are adding to this discussion.

I haven't followed this thread for some time, but revisited it today. Catherine, I am so sorry that you and JB are going through this and wish you nothing but the best in finding a way to overcome it to the degree possible.

I have never served in the military and therefore have no personal experience with such situations. However, I have had a number of friends who served in Vietnam, Somalia, Iraq and other hot spots (most of them are Marines). They have all been affected by the trauma of their service, although most have come to some accommodation about it. From my perspective, the effects are very real. During the Vietnam era, when I would have been called to serve, I anticipated this and didn't feel I had the inner strength to deal with the reality of conflict.

It is my opinion that our nation, or at least several different administrations, have done a real disservice to those who return from combat. This is a disgrace. I remember the military personnel returning from Vietnam and how they were treated (although hopefully not by me). I am so glad that vets returning from the current conflict in Iraq are not so poorly received by our people.

I disagreed strongly with our intervention in Vietnam, and worked against making the "same" mistake in Iraq. Despite those feelings, I believe strongly that those who do serve deserve the best possible assistance when they return from combat (as well as during it). We owe it as a nation to these men and women.

Of course it was not "criminal" in the literal sense.

Well, I did not think so that is why I asked for clarification.

Criminal is what Al Queda did to those Iraqi recruits and his interpreter with zip ties and guns. That was intentional. I think our government makes a lot of mistakes, MDB. I just don't want to not give them the benefit of the doubt, they are MY tribe. I know you and I respect each other enough for you to understand my position is a bit different on this.

It does help to bat things around, JB doesn't care. I know I can say and what I should not.
We are open books really. No huge problems, just this drifting thing and it does help to know others experience it. That is what I mean about not resisting too much, letting this move through you, accepting what has happened. Part of that is talking to others.

I'm not capable of pretending.

BTW, did you all see that Col Abbass collected funds from his Iraqi soldiers and sent to the fire victims in San Diego? (CNN story) These friendships matter in the long run. It is the untold story, men working shoulder to shoulder and bridging their differences, even in the theatre of war. So much bad, but some good things if you are willing to see them.

I remember the military personnel returning from Vietnam and how they were treated (although hopefully not by me).

I am sure you have always been a kind person.

I am starting to understand some of the social wounds from that era. I think much of it is a natural consequence of feeling disconnected from others because of the experience. IT is not ALWAYS someone's fault

Thanks, Bill, I don't want to overstate the problem..it's subtle and 99% of the people in the rest of the world probably have it worse, you know? No food, water, genocide, that stuff. I am thankful as hell he has his legs.

My daughter is going to Croatia for the summer to work with children that were war victims in the Baltics. I wonder what that will be like. I know very little about it--my neighbor says it is kind of dangerous there still.

Anybody know? I don't feel I can go by the state department, look what they say about Bali, etc.

Kind of a funny story, really... I was asleep on the far side of the bed from the master bathroom. During the night, the house shifted and a shampoo bottle fell and clattered to the floor in the shower. I was up, around the end of the bed and halfway into the bathroom before I was even awake, adrenaline dumping into my system, fists clenched, heart pounding... Mari sat up said, "What on earth are you doing?"

Sheesh...

All that jerking and jumping around is keeping me up all night.

Well, anyway, we don't need scarey movies on top of all this, maybe you have a point Frank.

earthquakes are the worst...I had many nights running out of the house with a baby under each arm. I could never do that "stay in the house" thing....adrenaline makes you want to run somewhere.

I think Katrina was like a war for many many people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom