Apocalypto....I am now officially "Violenced OUT"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks Rick.

very interesting.

Frank, all I can say is that we know the smell and for some reason, it does not push all of our buttons to the same degree, in the same way. (being over-exposed to violence could have a different effect) For example, I'd say I am always expecting the worst to happen, any second, and JB spaces out for a few seconds in an eery way. We just accept it as the consequences of some very frightening moments. Others, like you, might really hate violent movies....

I am very interested in PTS, and the factors that influence it. Notice I did not say "disorder" because part of coping is to accept that it has changed you and be okay with that, if possible.

It is not always possible, I realize that.

I saw an entire family beheaded in a car accident I worked once and flashed on it for years. I got to the point where I just said "oh, there it is again" and moved on.( I think the Buddhists have a helpful technique, I am sure you know it)

JB has his routine post combat "don't beat your wife classes" today, btw. It has been interesting to follow the social adjustments of 140 Marines this month..

I realized when Jen commented about Eastern Promises that we had watched way too many violent movies in three days, most brains are probably not wired for that flood of chemicals.

when the Conquistadors arrived, the Mayans had been past prime for five hundred years.
Yea, I was trying to conceive the timeline and that confused me.

Some things, I've adjusted to. Other things, I'll probably never adjust to. It is what it is. You accept what you can accept, and then get on with your life, you know? Over time, you get a little better at surfing the waves. I have nightmares sometimes. I wake up, hit the bathroom, go get a glass of water, maybe pet the cats for a few minutes, and then go back to bed. Large crowds make me nervous. I avoid the maul during the Christmas season. Loud sudden noises rev up the adrenaline, but I'm no longer catching myself headed for the ground into a roll.

The thing I miss most, is the comaraderie and cohesiveness of being in a fire team, squad, platoon, and company. I miss the esprit de corp and the discipline and easy brotherhood.

Frank, all I can say is that we know the smell and for some reason, it does not push all of our buttons to the same degree, in the same way. (being over-exposed to violence could have a different effect) For example, I'd say I am always expecting the worst to happen, any second, and JB spaces out for a few seconds in an eery way. We just accept it as the consequences of some very frightening moments. Others, like you, might really hate violent movies....

I am very interested in PTS, and the factors that influence it. Notice I did not say "disorder" because part of coping is to accept that it has changed you and be okay with that, if possible.

Well Catherine, just one Marines take, PTSD does not go away- 35 years later I still walk around my house in Marin County CA, checking "the perimeter" before I go to bed. Like you, I have watched folks decapitated, dead in my arms etc.

The current generation of warriors, with multiple tours, depleted uranium munitions, etc. have a way tougher time. We only went once. Once was enough.

All the best to you and JB

...Notice I did not say "disorder" because part of coping is to accept that it has changed you and be okay with that, if possible...
Accept, yes - after all, there's no choice. I don't know if I'd ever say "be okay with that"... but there's definitely a difference in the "healthy" (or at least tolerable) response and the pathological response to such experiences. Every combat veteran I know has their occasional "bout of doubt" where the "if only I'd..." thoughts haunt them.
I won't dwell on it.
Rick

I am always very interested in what you vets have to say.

I had a long talk with a Marine Col who heads the Wounded Warrior program (national level)and has the job of fighting the DOD beancounters for the funding to meet their needs. He lives in Washington, but was here for a retirement party...he knew the exact numbers of every wounded Marine and where. His main goal he says is to find a Legislated remedy VS a Policy one that can be changed at the whims of the politicians. (if I understood it all correctly)

JB says some of the most difficult debilitating cases of PTSD are among those who are now socially isolated from commrades. He says the studies indicate that being with the brethren from warfare is even more important factor than counseling and professional treatment. The guys that have the worst time are those like National Guardsmen, Reservists, guys who go and see and then get out, who come home and get plopped back in civilian life.

good to see you mdb.

When Apocalypto came out last year I took my semi-new girlfriend to see it. During the movie all I could think about was how she must be hating it. I liked it but didn't think it great.. she, on the otherhand, thought it was awesome. We are married now.

JB says some of the most difficult debilitating cases of PTSD are among those who are now socially isolated from commrades. He says the studies indicate that being with the brethren from warfare is even more important factor than counseling and professional treatment. The guys that have the worst time are those like National Guardsmen, Reservists, guys who go and see and then get out, who come home and get plopped back in civilian life.

Catherine;

I think Capt. Beal has it about right.

When I returned from Vietnam I was fortunate to be stationed in San Diego at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot. San Diego was and is a big Navy and Marine town. I had a great job-congressional liaison officer. I went diving every Wed. off the depot boat. I lived in La Jolla, right on Wind 'N Sea beach. At that time I was diving every weekend and, often, on weekdays. I was surrounded by other combat veterans. My seniors had seen combat in the Pacific and Korea, as well as Vietnam. We had plenty of time for "war stories"-self therapy-at the officers club. I know that all that helped.

On the other hand, the first term enlisted Marines were being processed out of the Marine Corps in a week, or less. There was no
PTSD help, no job advice, no help whatsoever. It was criminal. We used them and then we spit them out to a very hostile anti-war society. No wonder they had/have many problems.

I hope we treat this generation of warriors way better. They sure deserve it.

Just keep on doing what you were doing as a government contractor. You get to stay in the action, make some money doing it, and contribute to the effort.

Just keep on doing what you were doing as a government contractor. You get to stay in the action, make some money doing it, and contribute to the effort.

You mean the over paid mercenaries, the macho hired guns, etc.

The so called "contractors" are well despised by every active duty USA or USMC folks that I know. They are despicable. These poor sad souls may be "in the action" so what? They are just overpaid killers. The whole "contractor" issue is a very sick and sorry chapter for our beloved country.

Back
Top Bottom