Apex TX50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I searched this morning but didn't find anything fairly recent on just the Apex TX50. How is it? I'm not sure if be traveling by plane with it, as I prefer road trips, as I read it can be a bit heavy

DRIS (my LDS) has a package on sale for $399 with the first stage and two second stages. Seems like a good deal.

I'm just in the process of getting certified but this package almost seemed to good to pass up. Thanks! :)

This one: TX50 Regulator Set Yoke - Dive Right in Scuba ?
This is likely "new old stock". The TX50 is 4 generations old (TX, ATX,1st Gen XTX then 2nd gen XTX). The 1st stage is the DST which is a solid performer so no problems there. If the picture is that of the actual set then the yellow "octo" is actually the ATX50 2nd stage which is easier to tune for low breathing resistance because it has a micro adjuster and I would use that as the primary. The black 2nd stage is actually the TX50 which has no micro adjuster - but this should not be a problem. I have only 2 concerns about this set: 1. it is likely that it has been sitting on the shelf for several years so it might need service/tuning, so ask them about this and inquire if it is still in warranty and 2. One of the ports on the 1st stage might be the 1/2" inch one which takes a special hose, so be sure if that is the case to ask for a 1/2" port plug as I would definitely not use the original hose that the reg came with (>10 yrs old). All in all if you can get it serviced at a reasonable cost I'd say GO FOR IT!

BTW, the innards of Apeks regs did not change much during its several generations so service kits/parts availability will not be a problem :)

I'm at DRIS right now. Ended up getting the Apeks Flight. The TX50 was just too heavy for me and too big. Triggered my gag reflex something awful. The Flight has a smaller mouthpiece that fit just right as I have a smaller mouth. Much lighter, too.

Spent more, but it was still within my budget.

I'm at DRIS right now. Ended up getting the Apeks Flight. The TX50 was just too heavy for me and too big. Triggered my gag reflex something awful. The Flight has a smaller mouthpiece that fit just right as I have a smaller mouth. Much lighter, too.

Spent more, but it was still within my budget.
Congratulations! But I'd choose that set over the flight anytime. But that's just me :)

Flight doesn't trigger my gag reflex. Very important and well worth paying the extra $$.

Reactions: Pao
I think its that bit that sticks to the roof of your mouth. You'll come to love it as it reduces "dry mouth" and jaw fatigue as you don't have to really bite on it. It's all different underwater. I actually replaced all of my HOG reg mouthpieces with Apeks ones due to this. But whatever floats your boat. It is really personal and there are no right or wrong choices, especially at just the OW level :). Congratulations again!

Flight doesn't trigger my gag reflex. Very important and well worth paying the extra $$.

If travel diving is in your future make sure you properly inspect your hoses before you set off, they use proprietary hoses which you'll likely not find in far flung locations.

If travel diving is in your future make sure you properly inspect your hoses before you set off, they use proprietary hoses which you'll likely not find in far flung locations.
A spare hose could well be necessary. Extra weight and expenditure.
If it is not standard I wouldn't have bothered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom