Apeks XTX Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just looking through the new XTX branded models and it seems that they no longer offer the DS4 with the new second stages?! Am I missing something?

Also, do you guys know if there are any differences in the first stages, upgrades, improvements from the prior models? (I noticed the lack of the 1/2" port) but it lacks any further info. Also it seems that the 2nd stages come with a larger exhaust T?

The DS4 is a stand alone item so if you want an XTX second stage to go with one, just order it seperately.

The "new" DST, FST and FSR first stages no longer have the 1/2" medium pressure port - the "new' FSR also has a chrome finish. The XTX second stages can be fitted with a small or large exhaust.

I knew of the obvious differences but I was more interested in actual upgrades or improvements if any.

As far as I know (having asked the local distributor through my LDS) there are no internal changes to the "new" DST, FST and FSR first stages other than the change from the 1/2" to 3/8" medium pressure port.

Nada eh? So they just gave them a face lift and introduced an odd looking second stage?! Is that it?

One change that would be nice is adding a second HP port to the DS4

Well, Apeks' excuse for the ugly (imho) second stage is that they were receiving a lot of complaint re free flowing ATXs! The new cover is supposed to take care of that. Also I guess with so many people still preferring the wide exhaust on the TX series (for various reasons), Apeks felt that it would be nice to give users the option of fitting a small ATX-style exhaust or a wider TX/Zeagle-style "regular size" tee.

Tamas:
...good way to raise the price I guess!

Sure, like an automobile industry. They did a facelift every four years.

Even, ScubaPro introduced TIS2 on MK25, but I am not sure how much it has been improved for the cold water environment...:wink:

mike_s:
Here's the difference in the first stages.

http://www.divesports.com/articles/apeksregsexplained.htm

Some shops will also let you choose any Apeks 2nd stage(s) that you want with the first stage instead of buying it "normally". The site at the above URL will let you do that.....

Yes, I also read his excellent review though. I am not sure how much we can notice the difference in underwater.... IMHO though....

Back
Top Bottom