Apeks Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GTaylor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Now that these wings have been out for a while, I was wondering if anyone here had used them and could offer an opinion. I am looking for info on the single tank wing.

Thanks
Greg

I used the 32lb wing for 20+ dives in Fiji last November. While not bad, it is bit large for warm water diving. The wing actually is rated 34lbs with a gusset. In size it was more like my 36lb Halcyon wing that a "small" trim wing.

The construction was OK (no separate bladder), but I did sell it when I got back home as I was looking for something a bit smaller. I picked up a Oxycheq 30lb Mach V signature wing and it is bullet proof and like it after a few dives.

Thanks for the replies, I am also looking at the Oxycheq 30lb wing and just wanted to try and get some comparison between the two. May also check out the OMS 32lb wing. Will be diving mostly cold water quarries with a few excursions to warmer waters.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but what's the difference between cold water diving and warm water diving (Other than cold/warm.) with a bp/w?

I am looking to get a bp/w as well and I plan to use it all year long. (Mississippi and I travel to the Gulf to dive, even in Winter.)

Thanks and sorry,

Michael

I agree with the Halcyon Eclips wings. In fact I am going to purchase one this afternoon. I actually called Halcyon and spoke to a rep. They do not recomend using an airsource attachement.

I am going to Catalina Monday and Tuesday to get my advanced Open Water. Speaking of BP/wings Have you seen this backplate? www.criticalaspect.com I really like this idea. The owner is a tech diver who had different needs for a backplate and had one made.

Best of luck!

mwhities:
Not to hi-jack the thread, but what's the difference between cold water diving and warm water diving (Other than cold/warm.) with a bp/w?

I am looking to get a bp/w as well and I plan to use it all year long. (Mississippi and I travel to the Gulf to dive, even in Winter.)

Thanks and sorry,

Michael

The colder the water the heavier the exposure suit. Minimum required wing lift is often dictated by the intial buoyancy of your exposure suit.

The main function of any BC or Bouyancy Compensator is to compensate for the loss of buoyancy of your suit. Neoprene wetsuits compress, and drysuits can flood.

If you are diving in the tropics with little of no exposure suit, you need only concern yourself with the maxium negative buoyancy of your rig, this is necessary to ensure you have enough wing to float your rig without you in it.

If you are wrapped in lots of neoprene, i.e. 7 mm full suit, hooded vest, core warmer etc. you will be carrying a lot more ballast, and have a much greater change in buoyancy as you descend.

Generally, the further you get from the equator the larger your wing needs to be.

Tobin

Here's one thought on this subject. I have the Apeks single tank wing and I love it. It has never caused a problem. With that said...I do the majority ofmy diving in the quarry (shore diving). While in Cozumel recently, a concern was that when bP/Wing are setup on a tank and dropped into the hole in the seat...9 out of 10 times it seems to pinch the bladder between the tank and the hole.

Over time this would be a problem if not set in carefully. (crewmen are trained to quickly swap out tanks and move on to the next diver and wouldn't give it a notice). My old boss suffered a problem from that with the first generation Halcyon bladder...meaning:

No internal bladder with outer covering = easier to compromise the bladder. Again, pay attention and its not an issue, but it could be for some. Once my bladder gets worn out more, I'll switch to the Halcyon or possibly another brand by then. But for now, Apeks does it for me. (I did add the halcyon MC pack, the Halcyon Weighted STA, and replaced the elastic for rubber on the inflator and all of the straps,

Just my thoughts.

John

cool_hardware52:
The colder the water the heavier the exposure suit. Minimum required wing lift is often dictated by the intial buoyancy of your exposure suit.

The main function of any BC or Bouyancy Compensator is to compensate for the loss of buoyancy of your suit. Neoprene wetsuits compress, and drysuits can flood.

If you are diving in the tropics with little of no exposure suit, you need only concern yourself with the maxium negative buoyancy of your rig, this is necessary to ensure you have enough wing to float your rig without you in it.

If you are wrapped in lots of neoprene, i.e. 7 mm full suit, hooded vest, core warmer etc. you will be carrying a lot more ballast, and have a much greater change in buoyancy as you descend.

Generally, the further you get from the equator the larger your wing needs to be.

Tobin

Tobin,

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I never really thought about it like that.

I'll PM you with a few questions. I apologize to the op for posting. :)

Michael

My WT3 is a nice wing. When I'm at depth my buddies tell me it's very streamlined with those bellows on either side. Well, they tell me so at the surface...

My instructor is jealous I got such a good wing at the price I did.

Back
Top Bottom