Apeks VS ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting new regs for my doubles and cannot make up my mind what 2 regs to get.

I have the field narrowed down to either the Apeks ATX200 or the ScubaPro MK25/S600.

Which is the better choice? I have heard many good points and bad points for both but I cannot seem to make up my mind. What do you recommend, one over the other and why? Are there are any advantages of one over the other? Any disadvantages that one must take in consideration?

Please, let's hear your comments based on real life experience and field data.

ps. I understand that there have been post on silmilar topics with pages of debate based on the two camps, but I would like to get recent, field data from people that have actually used or serviced these regs, not just the web info.

I dive with the Scuba Pro Mk25/S600 on my doubles and I am not disappointed in my decision on purchasing these. If I understand correctly the Apeks does not need a cold water kit and is environmentally sealed.(I may be wrong) This might be a factor where you live. I have had mine in 42f degree water and 136' deep and I can't tell the difference in the way they breath. Most importantly is service. How easy is it to get either brand serviced? I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Hope this helped.
Dive Safe, Dive Often,
Butch :scubadive

I've never breathed through an Apeks reg. So I can't give you a truly un-biased comment. However, I've been diving since 1974 and have a few hours of U/W accumulated. This includes breathing on different regulators.

I had a very bad experience with a Sherwood Maximus reg. Note: the reg worked fine, it just isn't a very good design. (Swoods are meant for workhorse applications no any sort of depth.)

I did tremendous research before ridding myself of the junky clunky sherwood. No matter what periodical you read, what machine tested which regs, two companies always came up on top. One is scuba pro, the other is atomic. Personally, I chose the Scuba pro based on easier servicing and a global part/service presence. I picked the same reg you have; a Mk 25 first and S600 second. It has been a good choice. I've taken it to Bonaire, Grand Cayman, and La Paz as well as it's bi-monthly trip to so cal waters.

In any event, I dive fairly aggressively in the cold waters in California. Down near 100 FSW, you need a reg to delivery volume. I can attest that the scuba pro does that, and does it very well. It breathes dry in any position - and as a photographer I've had the chance to find out. It also has a very natural breathing feel - as corroborated in the various test articles.

I don't think you could possibly go wrong in this choice. I'd suggest typing the reg info into Google and checking out the various reviews...

Tamas:
I am in the process of getting new regs for my doubles and cannot make up my mind what 2 regs to get.

I have the field narrowed down to either the Apeks ATX200 or the ScubaPro MK25/S600.

Which is the better choice? I have heard many good points and bad points for both but I cannot seem to make up my mind. What do you recommend, one over the other and why? Are there are any advantages of one over the other? Any disadvantages that one must take in consideration?

ps. I understand that there have been post on silmilar topics with pages of debate based on the two camps, but I would like to get recent, field data from people that have actually used or serviced these regs, not just the web info.

FWIW, a buddy had to abort a dive 2 weekends ago in Humber Bay because his Scubapro wouldn't stop freeflowing. You can not compare our cold water to California "cold water" :wink:
If my Mares Abyss would be DIR conform, I wouldn't be even looking into anything else

Tamas:

I have a half dozen apex and over a dozen scubapros. The scubapros are great regs, but I won't buy anymore. They are far more maintenance intensive (real world) than the apex (pretty much never.). The scubapros breathe slightly better. But, not enough to matter. I suppose it could theoretically matter on really deep stuff, but then you should be on high helium and a brut would breathe great then.

I have Apek ATX100 and MK25AF/S600. I don’t know exactly how much different between Apek 100 and 200 though. Those are good regulators. It is really tough to tell which one is good, but I feel that Apek is better for a cold water environment based on my experience. Apek ATX100 and 200 are both an environmentally sealed.

Regarding maintenance, if you buy SP with the warranty, there is no difference that much. But, without the free part replacement program, Apek will be better choice to get the service (cheap) because SP is relatively strict for the annual and repair service and kit. Even, SP parts used to be highly charged. I was told that MK16/G250HP is the superior for the cold weather.

May I ask why the ATX200? The DS4 with an ATX50 second is a great little reg that is built very simple and environmentally sealed. They are easy to service and half the price of an ATX200.
I cannot comment on Scubapro as i have never used them.

I dive a MK 25 with an X650. I use them mostly in the waters off Connecticut and have been setting moorings for a local marina for the past 3 weeks. I hit the local quarry last weekend to the 90 foot mark, and they have performed perfectly. To be honest, I lean towards SP gear and have for years. I guess because they have never let me down in any way. Also, I personally have never exrerienced a freeze up or freeflow with any of my SP regs. Maybe Im just lucky. Hope this helps somewhat.

hoosier:
Regarding maintenance, if you buy SP with the warranty, there is no difference that much. But, without the free part replacement program, Apek will be better choice to get the service (cheap) because SP is relatively strict for the annual and repair service and kit. Even, SP parts used to be highly charged. I was told that MK16/G250HP is the superior for the cold weather.

Disclaimer: Not annually servicing your gear will get you killed.

Scubapro's generally must have annual service. I service my apex at most once every 5 years and they get the most use.

I have been throwing around the same problem. Except that i already have one of each.

I have one apeks ds4/tx50 and one scubapro mk10/g200b/d400.
The mk10 is basically an earlier version of the mk20/25 and though it may not perform quite as high as the newer ones, it supplies more than enough air for two divers at 100 feet. It is also considered to be more reliable by many divers.

The first stages are both fairly maintenance free, but i sure find my d400 needs more adjustment than the g200b or the tx50.

My research also turned up that many experienced tech divers prefer the ds4 to the 200 because the performance is nearly identical and the cost is much less.

My problem is that I can pick up a second mk10 off ebay for a lot less than an apeks, but I prefer the apeks for the dry seal.

if you are looking for a deal on apeks check www.divetank.net they are in B.C. Canada so they won't charge shipping and only GST to ontario. I have checked around and their price is very competitive (you have to phone them for a quote).

My choice is going to be apeks, and such I have a Mk10/d400 for sale. Anyway, I am in toronto too, PM me if you want.

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom