Apeks VS ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwunder:
I have been throwing around the same problem. Except that i already have one of each.

My research also turned up that many experienced tech divers prefer the ds4 to the 200 because the performance is nearly identical and the cost is much less.

The hose routing for the DS4 is better because it does not have the useless 1/2" port. Plus, it has a more proven track record.

I forgot that they do that 1/2" hose thing.
Glad I don't have to worry about it.

Warren

RTodd:
The hose routing for the DS4 is better because it does not have the useless 1/2" port. Plus, it has a more proven track record.

Ok then how about the DST first stage? What is that like compared to he DS4?

Keep in mind the inherent design of the MK25, end LP port delivers 15% more flow. I use a MK25/S600 for my 7 ft hose and a MK25/S550 for my doubles tech rig, works great. Only used ScubaPro since day 1 but now seriously considering Apeks TX40/DS4 for my deco bottle plus MK16/R390 for my stage bottle. Also look at Atomic, these guys used to design for ScubaPro for 15+ years; their regs designed for 2 years/300 dives (whichever comes first) overhaul intervals, in that sense cheaper than ScubaPro on upkeep. Also 1st stages set up almost identical to Mk25. In any case, you can't go wrong with any of these top brands, as long as you get them from an Authorized Dealer. No warranty with LeisurePro. Happy diving.

Tamas:
Ok then how about the DST first stage? What is that like compared to he DS4?

Honestly, I don't know which one that is. If that is the one with the swivel turret, stay away from it. Extra failure point for no added benefit on an open water reg. All of my reg advice comes from a few guys that have the advantage of diving multiple times a week and do not take care of their gear at all. If it lasts a few years it goes on their approval list, then I am willing to use that reg. I think the atomics mentioned before are currently in the testing phase. However, I only use piston regs for stages, deco bottles. Backgas, I prefer the DS4.

Tamas:
I am in the process of getting new regs for my doubles and cannot make up my mind what 2 regs to get.

I have the field narrowed down to either the Apeks ATX200 or the ScubaPro MK25/S600.

Which is the better choice? I have heard many good points and bad points for both but I cannot seem to make up my mind. What do you recommend, one over the other and why? Are there are any advantages of one over the other? Any disadvantages that one must take in consideration?

Please, let's hear your comments based on real life experience and field data.

ps. I understand that there have been post on silmilar topics with pages of debate based on the two camps, but I would like to get recent, field data from people that have actually used or serviced these regs, not just the web info.

Of the two brands in question, I have only used Scuba Pro. I use the MK25/G250 HP as my first primary on my tech rig. I am at the 'intro to tech' phase so I have been no deeper than 160'. I was completely impressed with the ease of breathing at this depth. I bought my reg brand new last year so it had the AF components. I had one free flow in 40 degree water. My reg tech added an o-ring to the first stage (serving as a spacer so the piston could not bottom out in the chamber) and I have never had a free flow since. This suggestion came from a tech at SP. I have been using my SP reg the last two months in water as cold as 35 degrees F. I have the reg set just shy of cracking pressure as well.

From what I have read here (only) the SP is the best deep breathing reg available but more prone to free flow in colder water. Since the adjustment I mentioned above, I have not experienced a free flow problem even in 35 degree water. I have friends that regularly ice dive with their SP MK25/S600 (exact same reg as the G250 HP just smaller/with smaller face plate and 2nd stage diaphram).

--Matt

The hose routing seems to be a lot nicer with the scubapro regs because they have that low pressure port right at the base of the turret. The apeks DST is the swivel turret first stage and it also has the 1/2" non-standard port. It seems to be least favourite apeks first stage, although i have never heard of a turret failure. The scubapro's use a swivel turret as well.

I think a lot of tech divers don't use diaphram regs on deco cylinders because if they flood they don't purge the water very well. A piston reg should be able to be removed, replaced and purged underwater and still function (although in need of a service).

since one would not remove the regs on their back tanks and they would always (except during malfunction) have the valves on, it is not really an issue with your doubles.

RTodd:
Honestly, I don't know which one that is. If that is the one with the swivel turret, stay away from it. Extra failure point for no added benefit on an open water reg. All of my reg advice comes from a few guys that have the advantage of diving multiple times a week and do not take care of their gear at all. If it lasts a few years it goes on their approval list, then I am willing to use that reg. I think the atomics mentioned before are currently in the testing phase. However, I only use piston regs for stages, deco bottles. Backgas, I prefer the DS4.

Yes that one has the rotating turret on it. The interesting part is that none of the current offerings come with the DS4 first anymore, they all include the DST or the higher end ones.

What would that 1/2" port be used for? since it is not a standard port?

Ok and since we are talking now about the DS4 or DST 1st stages, what is the actual difference between that and the FST (ATX100) and FSR (ATX200) 1st stages?

Tamas:
Yes that one has the rotating turret on it. The interesting part is that none of the current offerings come with the DS4 first anymore, they all include the DST or the higher end ones.

What would that 1/2" port be used for? since it is not a standard port?

Theoretically, the larger port would allow more air to flow through the port with less impedance. The effectiveness of this port supposedly increases at depth as the air increases in density. The couter argument to this is that at extreme depth most people use helium in the mix. Helium is much lighter than oxygen and nitrogen and breathes much easier.

It seems that the atx50 is sold paired with the DST, but you can usually just ask for the DS4 instead. If you are seriously looking, I repeat "call divetank..." they have DS4's and atx50's for great prices. They will quote each part seperately even the hose and might give you a bigger discount for a package.

Back
Top Bottom