APEKS Reg - Which one would you choose? (Poll)

Which one would you choose?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have DS4, DST and FSR.
DST has no use in single tank diving(for me). Put a 5th port but what for?
My personal preference is FSR with DS4 comes a close second.

But if money is consideration then DS4.

This is a really good point. My logic is colored by technical diving with back mount doubles, where the fifth port and turret add tremendous value. If you’re going to stay with a single tank forever, the FSR is probably a slightly better configuration, and you lose very little going with the DS4.

But only in single tank: in doubles, it does not allow the best house routing, nor does it allow the safest long hose deployment.

So, if you will not be moving to a technical diving configuration in the next 5+ years, and money is important, there’s very little you lose by going with the DS4. I’m not sure I would pay the premium for the FSR, but if money is no object, or you get a really good deal, then go for it. But if you’re going to get into technical diving in the future, it’s really hard to beat the DST.

As for seconds: all of them are really good. As a cold water diver, I appreciate the cold water features of the XTX 50 class. If you don’t plan on diving below 40°F, then it really doesn’t matter. I find the adjustability more of a gimmick than a true feature, except in strong current. When you are in serious current, it can push down on the reg face and slightly purge your regulator all the time. A twist of the knob helps to resolve that. Again, if you don’t plan on diving in strong current, you don’t need it.

The problem is: most people don’t know where their diving journey will take them in the next five or so years. In that case, a pair of XTX 50 with the DST gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility and future proofing.

But of course, only you can make the final decision! :)

Aside from the differences already noted in 1st stage configuration the FSR is the only one with a replaceable ARCAP valve seat, whether that ever is an issue who knows but it is a consideration.

There is zero difference in 2nd stages above XTX 50 aside from chrome, I actually think the blackout look of the 50 is better.

And the XTX50/DST combo has very good resale value, as well. Just something to consider.

This is a really good point. My logic is colored by technical diving with back mount doubles, where the fifth port and turret add tremendous value. If you’re going to stay with a single tank forever, the FSR is probably a slightly better configuration, and you lose very little going with the DS4.

But only in single tank: in doubles, it does not allow the best house routing, nor does it allow the safest long hose deployment.

So, if you will not be moving to a technical diving configuration in the next 5+ years, and money is important, there’s very little you lose by going with the DS4. I’m not sure I would pay the premium for the FSR, but if money is no object, or you get a really good deal, then go for it. But if you’re going to get into technical diving in the future, it’s really hard to beat the DST.

As for seconds: all of them are really good. As a cold water diver, I appreciate the cold water features of the XTX 50 class. If you don’t plan on diving below 40°F, then it really doesn’t matter. I find the adjustability more of a gimmick than a true feature, except in the strong current. When you are in serious current, it can push down on the reg face and slightly purge your regulator all the time. A twist of the knob helps to resolve that. Again, if you don’t plan on diving in strong current, you don’t need it.

The problem is: most people don’t know where their diving journey will take them in the next five or so years. In that case, a pair of XTX 50 with the DST gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility and future proofing.

My BM tec set up is DS4 + FSR.
DST is for the deco bottle because of the turret.
FSR for the left post because of the angled HP port.

If money is no object then 2 FSR and the one on right post fitted with the 5th port.

My BM tec set up is DS4 + FSR.

Long hose deployment in a restriction requires a nearly 180° bend out of the first stage to the out of air diver in front. If that out of air diver pulls too hard, they can shut their own gas off by pinching the hose.

You do you. Dive and let dive. And I’m not trying to change your or anyone else’s mind. If you’re never going to go through a restriction and dive with a long hose, it may not matter. But that’s why the turret is valuable.

Same reason as why you want it on a deco bottle… Just for the poor out of air diver. :)

ETA: for me, there is much value in interchangeability. So I appreciate having the same first stage for all of my uses: main gas, stage, deco. If i’m having problems with one, I can swap in a different one very easily. Having three different types of first stages makes that… awkward. Now, that isn’t relevant until you have a pile of first stages, which the OP does not yet, of course. So do with that information what you will.

Guess I have to be the odd man out.
To me, serviceability is everything. If I only want to buy once, it's the XTX200 because it has a replaceable first stage orifice. Amortize the cost over a decade and the extra expense is nothing.

There is NO right or wrong!
Just personal preference.

Off topic:
As for swimming through a restriction I did not notice any difference with either DS4, DST or FSR in long hose donation. Because the doner swim first!

What about two XTX50 second stages with DST first? XTX100/200 don’t seem to be worth the money from other posts here. XTX50 is great. I’ve had mine in 38F water and they had no issues. Just fine for warmer water as well.

Actually it was a typo, second option is XTX50 on 2nd.

Add me to the list of people who like the @Marie13 combo. That’s pretty much exactly what I dive, though they’re called:

DGX Custom - DGX Gears D6 Single Tank Reg Package

$449 US, so even cheaper. (I have the doubles version.)

I’m not suggesting that you buy the DGX: seeing as your prices are in euros, I’m assuming you’re in Europe, and in that case I would stick with the actual Apeks — especially with your “right to service“ laws. Here in the United States, they’re quite a bit more expensive, and aqualung is... difficult about service parts.

And personally, I think the extra €70 for the swivel turret and 5th port is well worth it. Your mileage may vary.

Indeed! I'm not sure DGX exists here in Europe (Portugal), APEKs parts also are imported (fortunately, from Germany) - Aqualung we have it by the ton everywhere, but for some reason I don't understand it's expensier!

People don’t know where their diving journey will take them in the next five or so years. In that case, a pair of XTX 50 with the DST gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility and future proofing.

"The problem is: most people don’t know where their diving journey will take them in the next five or so years" =)) That IS the problem :)

I wonder how easy I can sell the DS4/ATX40 set in 5/10 years if I want to evolve :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom