APEKS Reg - Which one would you choose? (Poll)

Which one would you choose?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DST is not a good back mount regulator no mater what people say it has a turret but still has bad hose routings and hits the back of your head I personally use it for stages or side mount and even for that there are better choices. Couple it with bad materials used in service kits you get a long term expensive regulator.
I would go for a ds4+xtx50-s, fsr is super nice if you are diving a single tank but the extra price for it might not be worth it for you.

"The problem is: most people don’t know where their diving journey will take them in the next five or so years" =)) That IS the problem :)

I wonder how easy I can sell the DS4/ATX40 set in 5/10 years if I want to evolve :)
Look after it and you might not want to sell it after 23yrs(my DS4/TX50)!!

Another point that nobody mentioned is to have the same primary as the secondary. This has one advantage and "a half":
- ONE: it's easy to fix issues because you need spare parts only for one reg; in case you are interested in DIY maintenance, you have to learn how to maintain only one kind of reg
- HALF: if you donate the primary, in the case you will ever have an emergency, you will be breathing from a high-quality reg; that said, in your case, the "high" quality seems not to be that "high" because you dive rec

My suggestion is always to stay cheap, but a lot of factors play a role in this choice, so in the end, it's up to you

Do I got it correct, do you have a DS4 and TX50 for 23 years?
Bought it in 1998 and still using it for rec and tec dives.
I learnt how to service them as well.
23yrs is not old by any standard for regulator.

Another point that nobody mentioned is to have the same primary as the secondary. This has one advantage and "a half":
- ONE: it's easy to fix issues because you need spare parts only for one reg; in case you are interested in DIY maintenance, you have to learn how to maintain only one kind of reg
- HALF: if you donate the primary, in the case you will ever have an emergency, you will be breathing from a high-quality reg; that said, in your case, the "high" quality seems not to be that "high" because you dive rec
Apeks 2nd stages are practically the same from 200 to 20 except the Freight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom